(11) Café

"Okay, sweetheart, are we ready to go?" Dale had planned to take his daughter shopping, so that was what they were going to do. 

Kimberly was up in her room getting dressed. She wore a grey pleated skirt, white knee highs with ruffles along the top, and a white sweater which had a small carrot embroidered in the centre with ruffles along the collar and sleeves, finished with white flats. "Yep!" She called running down the staircase, her ponytails bouncing with each step. 

"Then lets get going." Dale ushered her out the front door and into the car. He had the day off so he decided to spend it making his daughter happy. Kimberly hadn't heard anything from the Mitchell's since the ordeal at their estate. Caiden would have usually been checking in on the girl while Dale worked the late nights but before he could Dale stopped him. 

"Okay, I'll be back in around half an hour to forty minutes." Caiden spoke to the room as he stood from his seat.

He wade his way towards the door before Dale cleared his throat. "Mr. Mitchell?" 

"Yes, Dale?" Caiden raised his brows and stepped back over to the older man. 

Dale thought for a moment. Was it the best move? Yes. "Don't pop in to Kimberly, I think she's ready to learn to be on her own. Besides, she's still not happy with you after the pool incident."

Caiden was taken back a little. Dale had always seemed so appreciative of him Caiden checking in on his daughter, but now such a change of heart. Robert watched the two's exchange with a stone cold expression on his face, not that it was new to anyone in the room, Robert often looked blank. "Um, yes okay." Caiden nodded slowly. "That's fine." and with that he left to go and get everyone's food order.

Dale stopped thinking of the moment just as they pulled up to the stores. "And where do you want to go first?" 

Kimberly thought to herself as her Father parked up. she hopped out of the car, her bottom lip trapped between her teeth. "I don't mind. Where do you wanna go, Daddy?" 

Dale chuckled. "Well, pumpkin, That's up to you." 

The two headed towards the shopping centre, Kim having more of a skip in her step while Dale casually strolled on behind her. "Can we possibly go to the music store so I can get new CDs?" 

"Anything you want." Dale smiled happily. They were lucky to be just outside Kimberly's desired store so they headed right in. "Which ones are you planning on getting?" 

Kim looked through the sections, not sure  on where to look for the specific album. "I don't know the name, just the photo on it." 

Dale furrowed his brows. "Where did you hear of it?" 

"Oh! Here it is!" She happily grabbed the Black album and inspected it. "Mr. Caiden showed me a few songs and I Liked them." 

Dale furrowed his brows, not particularly appreciating Caiden showing his daughter music without her father's consent first. Although Dale was obviously being so very overprotective, he felt he was just keeping her safe. "I wish he had asked me first, But I guess it can't be so bad." 

"Thank you daddy." Kimberly gleamed and rushed over to the counter to pay. They next stopped to get some new clothes, not only for Kimberly but also for Dale. Kimberly insisted her father needed to update his closet so she helped him pick out a few more shirts. They left the store with three large bags filled with either clothes or accessories. Kimberly wasn't one for spending a ton of her Father's money, but Dale had a habit of buying Kimberly things in return for him working so often. Whenever Kim took interest in anything her Father would buy it for her. She insisted she didn't need it but he still bought it all. 

"I can carry them." Kimberly reached for the bags in her Father's hands. 

Dale lifted the bags In his hands high so that she couldn't grab them. "You don't need to carry anything. You need your hands to brows through things." 

"But-"

"Anyway, where do you want to go now?" He cut her off with grin.

She shook her head and playfully rolled her eyes. "Can we get lunch, please?" 

"Of course." They took off to a local café which was Kim's favourite due to the rustic feel to the place. 

They sat at their table, bags pushed under, just by their feet. They browsed the menu, Dale immediately knowing what he wanted while Kimberly had to take a little longer to think. once she decided to join her Father on getting a chicken salad Dale ordered for them and then they sat chatting for a while through their meal. 

"And I was thinking we could look through the books and any we don't read we'll donate. Does that sound-" The little gold bell above the door chimed causing the Father and daughter to look up at the door. 

In walked two familiar men. The Mitchells. Of course they held power, all eyes on them. Everyone either wanted to be with them, or be them. A group of women who were seated by the entrance were ogling them, the younger ones at Caiden, and the older ones at Robert. "Hello, Darling." Robert flashed a smile and a wink before making his way to a table with his son. 

Kimberly couldn't help but stare. Dale cleared his throat, catching his Daughter's attention. "As I was saying-"

"Why hasn't he come to see me?" Kimberly questioned her father. 

Dale raised his brows. "What? Who?"

"Mr. Caiden." She sighed. "He usually checks in on me." 

"Well, I didn't think you'd want to be around him after the pool incident." 

"Uh, well no. But did I do something wrong for him to not want to see me anymore?" 

Dale could see the sadness in her eyes, but he just couldn't have his daughter getting close to people that won't stick around. They'll only end up hurting here. They only person that wouldn't hurt her was him, so the only person who she would have was him. 

"No, love, I just thought it would be better if he stayed back for a bit, okay?" Dale took his daughter's hand in his, stroking her knuckles with his thumb.

"Okay, Daddy. I just-"

"Good afternoon, Kimberly." Caiden's voice was heard, she didn't even see him walk up behind her father. 

"Oh. Hi, Mr. Caiden." She spoke nervously. Had he just heard them talking about him?

He smiled at the name. "I was wanting to make sure you were okay after-"

Dale stood from his seat, leaving cash on the table between their empty plates. He picked up the bags and cleared his throat. "Come on, Kimberly. We must get going." He took his daughters hand in his, lightly pulling her out of the seat. 

She shot a stunned Caiden a sympathetic look and a small wave. "Bye." 

"Bye?" He spoke quietly as he watched her leave the little café.