SEVEN.

I stare at the mouth of the cave, seeing only recollections of a past I long to still live in

I keep my focus on Theron as he squeezes his way through the small entrance of the cave. Every breath he takes is intentional, every hold is meant to make him thinner and able to move between the stone walls easier. This is one instance where being muscular and broad isn't beneficial.

My eyes scanned the ledge before it, the same ledge where his beast yanked me out by my shirt, pulling me into his embrace and causing my skin to flush and ache for more. 

"Lina," he whined.

The exact same ledge his lycan form catapulted from in a frenzy to escape this crazy bitch's evil, blood sucking spawn... 

He flings me onto his back. 

My arms immediately wrap around his neck and my legs secure tightly around his waist--the heat he radiates making my heart beat erratically and setting my core on fire. 

Looking back, I thought I was brave then... valorous and audacious. 

What a joke. 

Understanding exactly what lay within this mountain, I know now that that courage wasn't mine.

It was never mine.

I look to Theron for inspiration. The twinkle in his eye, the light heartedness I have been recently introduced to was completely gone. Old Theron is back, his gaze hard and steely, his lips turned downward and pressed into a thin line.

And while every fiber of my being screams at me to run and each thump of my heart does nothing to warm the blood that suddenly freezes within my veins, I don't yield.

I don't falter.

I do, however, grab Theron's hand of which I am not the slightest bit ashamed. It reminds me he's here and I'm not alone.

It was Theron who made me fearless...

Strong and fierce...

Theron, who brought out the best in me...

Theron, who wasn't the only one that died that horrible day nearly two years ago...

Wiping spilt memories and shattered emotions from my cheeks, I move forward slowly. My timing is better this trip so I'm not in a hurry but if I am going to waste time, I would rather it not be drowning in my sorrows.

The fucking place still reeks of death and decay, the wet limestone extenuating the stench of rotting flesh and despairing tears and I no longer have Theron's scent to latch onto for comfort. 

Sifting through the distinguishing smells, I found Theron's and chose to latch on to that. 

I will never tire of forest and spice.