We'll Get Him Back

CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR TBB FINALE!!!!

Takes place after they leave Kamino.

Also, I was thinking of changing these one shots to The Bad Batch One Shots. I have some more ideas that involve the rest of the Bad Batch, not only focused on Hunter and Omega.  Please let me know if you would want to see some more one shots of the rest of the Batch!

Enjoy! :)

Omega's POV

No matter which way I turn, I can't fall asleep. I'm exhausted but there's no use in trying to sleep. I'll just be plagued with nightmares, which have been becoming more frequent.

I stood up, taking my blanket with me and wrapping it around my shoulders like a cape, letting the edge drag along the floor. I tread lightly towards Hunter's bunk. He was still asleep by the looks of it, but any noise would wake him up. I decided to leave him alone, not wanting to wake him. I turned to leave, but the bunk creaked as Hunter sat up.

"Omega?"

I turned around to face him. He blinked in the low light of the room as he tried to make out my expressions. He motioned for me to come closer, so I did. I laid next to him and he wrapped his arm around me. 

"Sorry I woke you up," I whispered.

"It's okay, I was awake. I can't sleep."

"I can't either."

We laid there for a few moments in silence, until I asked him what's been bothering me all night.

"Do...do you think we'll be able to get him back?"

He sighed. "That's all I want, Omega."

I truly wanted to believe that it wasn't Crosshair's fault, that we could bring him home. But that's who he is now- a tool of the Empire. 

"We have to try and help him," I said, hating the way my voice shook. 

"We will, I promise. But as our leader, I... I must respect his choice. And he chose to stay with the Empire."

I nodded, not saying anything else that might upset Hunter. He pulled me closer and I could feel him shaking. 

"I- I wanted to believe that the Empire controlled him, that- that he still had a chance, but..." he trailed off, not needing to explain the rest. 

"I never should've left him behind." 

Guilt surged through me. I was the reason he was left behind. They came back for me. If I hadn't been in need of rescuing, they never would have lost their crew member. Their brother. My throat tightened and I started crying. I didn't want to. I didn't want to be seen as weak or helpless, but Hunter just pulled me in closer. He didn't say a word, he was just there to hold me. He understood.

"I'm sorry," I cried.

"Don't be, you didn't do anything wrong." 

"Bu-but I was the reason he was left behind! You came back for me! If you hadn't come back, Crosshair would still be with you!"

"Omega-"

"No! It's my fault!"

"Don't blame yourself. You can't control what the Empire or Crosshair chooses to do. I couldn't just leave you on Kamino, Omega. You belong with us."

"So does Crosshair."

Hunter kissed the top of my head. "We'll get him back, I promise."

I nodded and Hunter held me until I stopped crying. I wrapped my arms around his waist and laid my head on his chest. I could hear his heartbeat, strong and steady in my ears. A comforting sound to focus on, something other than Crosshair or the Empire. 

 "Try to sleep, Omega. You need it."

I shook my head. "I'll get nightmares."

"It's okay, I'll be here if you do. Just sleep."

I was hesitant at first, but once I relaxed, I felt how tired I actually was. I felt Hunter relax beside me and I closed my eyes, ready for a good nights sleep. I curled further into Hunter's warm embrace.

Neither of us had nightmares that night.