Broken

This takes place after Omega was taken by Cad Bane. I wanted to try experimenting with a different perspective so I did, lol. Anyway let me know if you like it. Ideas are always welcome! :)

Echo's POV

I rubbed Hunter's back in an attempt to comfort him. He wouldn't relax, not with Omega somewhere in the galaxy, out of our reach. He clutched her Batcher doll tight in his hand, like if he let go, it would vanish. He fought back tears as he buried his face into his palms. Tech came over to us with his datapad. Hunter looked up, the slightest bit of hope shining in his eyes. 

"Did you find anything?" I asked.

He shook his head. "I've studied star charts around the trajectory of the bounty hunter's ship, but found no sufficient leads." 

Hunter looked down, the hope completely gone in his eyes. Something snapped inside of him, and he stood up. 

"Keep looking," he said coldly. 

"Hunter... we don't have a lead," I tried to convince him. 

"I don't care! Keep looking!"

Tech intervened. "Hunter, we-"

"Shut up, Tech!" he snapped. "We have to find her! I don't care if you guys won't! But I will!"

Hurt was visible in Tech's eyes. Wrecker walked in and shoved Hunter a little too forcefully. He stumbled and fell backwards. 

"Lay off him!" Wrecker growled, standing up for Tech. 

I shot Wrecker a warning look, telling him to take it easy on him. He was still injured. I crouched down next to Hunter and offered my hand to help him up. He shoved it away. Tears began falling from his eyes.

"Hunter, you know we want her back, more than anything. But there's nothing we can do until we know more." 

"No, you... you don't understand." More and more tears flowed to the point where he couldn't wipe them all away. His voice shook with each word. He pushed himself up with the wall and used it to steady himself. 

"It's my fault she was taken."

We all were taken aback by his reaction. We had never seen him like this. At least not this bad. 

"Hunter, it's not your fault."

"Yes it is! I-I've already left Crosshair behind and now I..." More tears dripped down his face as he tried to steady his breathing, which was getting out of control. "I left Omega behind. I swore to protect her and I failed."

He wiped his tears in frustration, finding that they kept coming. He turned away, embarrassed.  I placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. He seemed to melt into my touch, so I did what I knew he needed. I pulled him into a tight hug. His body weakened and I had to use all my strength to hold him up. He sobbed into my shoulder.

"We'll find her, don't worry," I whispered into his ear as I rubbed circles on his back. 

He nodded and hugged me tighter, as if I would disappear at any moment. Wrecker pulled us both into a bear hug. Wrecker held out his hand for Tech to join. He hesitantly took it. He jumped in surprise when Wrecker pulled him into the hug as well. We all held each other closely, Hunter in the center. He relaxed and slowed his breathing down to a normal rate. We stayed like that for a while, until Hunter was okay. We released each other and Hunter gave us a small smile. He wiped the remaining tears off his face. The fear was mostly gone from his eyes, now replaced with determination. 

"Let's go get our little girl back."