Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Vex

I couldn't lose her. I had just gotten her. I was getting everything I'd ever wanted. I'd made love to her.

Love? Was that what it was? Not the first time. But the second time, yes.

I loved her. I couldn't stop loving her even when she made me so angry. I don't know when I'd fallen in love with Bree, I think it had been happening slowly. But I definitely loved her.

I felt like my heart was dying even though it was beating frantically. Her eyes were filled with tears of pain and anguish. She didn't want to leave me yet either.

"Hold on baby." I whispered to her as I felt more tears fall down my face. I'd never cried before. I'd been close a few days before in the tower from her words but this...there was no holding my emotions back.

I looked up at the roof seeing the two damphirs staring at us. They looked horrified at what they'd done, but more than that they were confused. They didn't know we could make ourselves visible or maybe it was Bree, maybe it was my tears, my despair they were confused and surprised over.

I wanted to scream at them in rage. I wanted to go to them and rip them into pieces and feast on their life blood. But I couldn't leave Bree. I knew the look on my face they were seeing was despair and fear, not the anger I held for them. I knew they could hear us too.

Serien had brought the car around and Lokin was helping me get Bree into the car. She was fighting to breath. To hold on.

"Don't let her die." I begged Lokin.

"We won't." He promised softly as Reverence and Holden laid heron the long vertical seat. I hurried into the limo sitting on the seat and setting her up so she didn't choke on her blood.

She tensed in pain.

"Don't move her so much." Lokin scolded softly as the limo peeled out as fast as Serien could get it to go.

Bree blinked hard as if trying to stay awake.

"Don't close your eyes." I told her with a touch of anger.

Her eyes started to close and I smacked her cheek lightly. She opened her eyes fighting to keep them open. "Don't close your eyes." I ordered firmly. "Please." I whispered.

"I got you something." Bree struggled to say. I didn't know what she meant. She didn't have any money and I was sure the candy was still back in the village on the ground.

Bree moved her hand painfully to the front pocket of her jeans where something black was sticking out. I stopped her hand and pulled it out for her, holding up the sword on a black string.

"Suits you." She choked trying to swallow. More blood trickled out of her mouth and down her chin.

I didn't know what to say to her. No one had ever got me anything like that before. It wasn't anything expensive or special but it was from Bree and that made it the most valuable and special thing I owned.

I touched her face gently and her eyes shut. I started to panic. "Bree wake up." I cried frantically.

"She's still breathing Vex. She passed out from blood loss and pain." Reverence assured me quickly taking my hand before I smacked her face again. He swallowed hard as he looked at her blood all over her.

"Don't you dare." I growled.

He shut his eyes hard and looked at me. "I would never." He shook his head. "She saved your life without a thought." He whispered.

She had. She had jumped in front of me, tried to push me back and had taken two arrows that had my name on it. I knew those arrows were laden with something deadly. Magic or liquid silver that would put me in a vulnerable state if it didn't kill me first.

But Bree was human and whatever was in the arrows wasn't made for her kind, they were made for my kind. It didn't mean that these arrows wouldn't kill her.

I felt like it took an eternity to get to the castle. The moment the doors to the elevator opened half a dozen of my people were ready for Bree.

"Two arrows to her chest!" I exclaimed. "I don't know if it hither heart but it hit her left lung." I murmured as I carried her to the infirmary.

I laid her on the bed and was immediately pulled out of the way by Serien.

"She's in capable hands Vex." Serien assured me softly as I watched them crowed around her.

"If she dies I will kill you all!" I growled and the room got silent. "You will not taste one drop of her blood!" I threatened darkly. Lokin pulled me into the hall and Serien shut the door blocking it.

"Calm the fuck down!" Lokin growled. "She is just a human. If she dies we will get you another."

"Cold Lokin." Holden hissed softly shaking his head. "She took two arrows for our brother, she's earned some respect."

I shoved Lokin hard making him hit the wall. "Don't you ever talk about her again. I swear I'll throw you off this mountain and let the damphirs have you." I growled furiously.

I knew several of my people were staring in shock over my words, over my behavior. I didn't care. I turned and walked down the hall shoving two out of my way before they could move.

Fuck them all if they thought less of me. I'd turn the stories of Dracula into a reality and put them all on a pike in the front yard!