Chapter 1

Thursday, 09:29 am.

Awkward.

That's how you can describe it.

Or weird, maybe?

Anyways, for a whole of ninety minutes, the situation was just very awkward. Skylor had tried to talk to Nya during class and ask her why she was so weird when she saw the teacher, but all she got was always 'what do you mean?' or 'I wasn't weird!'.

Mr Walker wasn't any better, really. He kept stuttering whenever he directed his gaze away from the board and looked at his students.

"Nya, what's going on? And I want the truth!" Skylor whispered into Nya's ear when the teacher turned back towards the board to write something on it.

Nya frowned at her friend. "Nothing, Sky. Why do you keep asking?" She answered quite annoyed.

"Well," The redhead began. "I can see something's not right. Call it best friend sense or whatever, but I know you too well to-"

Ding... Dong... Ding... Dong...

"Alright, that's it for today." The teacher turned around to see everyone already putting their stuff into their bags and making their ways over to the door. Everyone but one.

Nya looked at her teacher and then he started to look back at her.

Weird, that's the word.

She slowly stood up from her seat and put her book into her bag, slinging it on one of her shoulders. Skylor walked in the front and Nya just then realized that they both were, in fact, the last students in the class. Nya pushed her chair up to the table and started to walk after her best friend.

She heard a sigh. "Miss Smith, may I talk to you for a second?"

Both of the girls stopped in their tracks and turned towards the teacher behind the desk.

"Of course." Nya then turned towards Skylor who was standing in the doorway. "Can you go to the bench and wait?" She asked.

Skylor nodded and left the room, closing the door behind her.

Nya looked back at Jay and didn't really know how to start. That was until he walked over to her and pulled her into a hug, completely startling her. She was literally staring into his chest because of her height before she hugged him back.

"I can't believe this." He said when he pulled away to look at her.

She sighed, smiling. "You've changed so much, I see."

He chuckled. "I mean, four years are a lot. But you yourself have changed, also. Let your hair grow out, eh?" He looked at her high, pitch black ponytail.

"Yeah, after a while, very short hair became boring so I let it grow out." Her smile then turned into a frown. "Jay?"

"Yeah?"

"All those years back, why did you ignore all my calls and messages until I gave up and-"

"I never meant to!" Jay quickly interrupted her, slightly squeaking. "Please believe me!"

"Then why did you ghost me?" She asked, her voice sad.

He sighed. "When my parents and I moved here, it was all so new to me. I mean, it was very hard to leave you behind because my parents got promoted and we had to move. Then, one day, I was sitting in a bus and when I got off, I realized I had left my phone on my seat and when I turned around, the bus already began to drive away. We tried so hard to find it again, but I never got it back. And all my contacts were on that thing and I didn't write your number or anyone else's anywhere else, so I never got to text you and tell you. And when I told my parents to go back to you to get your number, they said no." By the time he ended his speech, he had tears in his eyes which Nya noticed.