34.) the quality of mercy

Start from the beginning

"You may be book smart, Calypso. But you're going against the one person who taught you everything. You don't think she already knows you're going to attack?" He questioned and I grabbed the chair from the side then sit down in front of his cell. "She didn't teach me everything." I said with a smile and he looked at me confused. "Listen...I came here to ask about our proposal. Four is supportive, so is Tori, Aaron, Chris, Tris and dozens more. All I need now is your consent to move on this agreement for the leaders." I explained, he inhaled deeply then tightened his jaw, thinking.

Before he could respond, I hear footsteps making their way to me and I turned my head to see Four. My heart warmed up to him and I stood up, he gave me a light smile then turned to look at Eric who smirked in response to his look.

"Did you tell him?" Four asked me, I shook my head then looked at Eric with a serious face. "I'm guessing not good news?" Eric questioned sarcastically, I cleared my throat and watched him as he stood up from the cot.

"If you are to not comply with the terms given to you that are written on your proposal..." I trailed off looking at Four and he stared at Eric. "I'll kill you." Four finished off, I gave him a nod then walked away.

"Calypso, can we talk?" I hear a voice ask me. I turned my head and see Evelyn, she wore her signature leather jacket and had her gun holstered to her thigh. "What is it?" I asked her, she let out a sigh then gestures for me to walk with her. I hesitated, but then followed her.

"You know, I grew up with your mother-" "She's not my mother." I corrected her, she paused then nodded. "The people want her head on a spike, which we won't do. But I need to know you won't let your emotions affect you during this war." She said, I stopped walking then looked at her. "My emotions?" I questioned unsure of what she meant. "I just don't want you to feel overwhelmed." She answered while putting her hands up to gesture me that she meant no harm, I let out a sigh and crossed my arms.

"I make the arrest. There will be no killing by my part." I said to her, she blinked then inhaled. "I deserve that much." I added then walked away before she could protest.

~~~

"Hello, my name is Helios Matthews, counselor for Erudite." I hear my father's voice say throughout the city, I looked up at the tall building and see how young he looked. "For years we were led to believe that we were protecting ourselves from something that could come in through those walls. However...That is a lie." He explained, I take in a sharp breath and glanced at Four who was ready to blast in the Erudite building.

"He would want this." I whispered to myself then sighed. "You okay?" Aaron asked me, I looked at her from my side and nodded. I pulled my batons out their holder then Four broke down the door from, he goes in first then I followed behind him. "All right, break off!" I said to the group behind me as Four begins to shoot at the incoming guards.

Before I could follow our plan and go to the back stairwell, I'm immediately tackled backwards onto a wall. I groaned at the contact, but I elbow the guard's face and he let me go. I used the end of one baton on his chest then used the other baton to hit him square on the jaw. He falls to the floor unconscious, so I quickly run to the stairwell.

Four runs behind me and I pushed open the door then start running up. My heart was racing due to the adrenaline, but the words of my father kept me going stronger. Even from inside this cold building, I could still hear him along with the screaming and shooting. "I have found countless evidence that the outside world is awaiting our presence, so we must take the leap of faith and venture outside these walls." My father said, I looked up at the numbers to see we were only on the the third floor, so I went faster knowing I had to get to Jeanine first. "Now, I know this is asking for a lot, but I implore you to see what I see...The inevitable." He added, I take in a breath to calm down my panting then see I was close.

"Hold on." Four said before I could get to the door of the fifth floor. I leaned my back on the wall and he went through the door first, he gestured me to follow and began to shoot oncoming guards. My ears perked knowing a presence was behind me, so I spun around then electrocuted the guard pointing his gun towards me. He falls on the ground unconscious and I see another guard coming to my side. Knowing Four was busy in the front, I did a front kick on the guard hitting his chest then spun around to hit his face and I point the back end of my baton hitting his nose. He falls forward holding his bloody nose, groaning in pain.

"Come on!" Four called me, I nodded following behind him and see the rest of the Factionless made it before me. They were in the testing room that had a giant glass cage and I recognized it, the main use of it was too see clearly the subject's mind.

"Evelyn." Jeanine said to Four's mother, we entered the room and she noticed my presence, her emotionless eyes staring at me. "Calypso." She called, the doors behind us closed and I glanced at Four who gave me a nod. "Jeanine." I responded with the same tone then put my batons back into the holder on my back. She smiled as I walked towards her and I kept my face straight, I stood next to Evelyn and take in a deep breath through my nose.

"My father...My real mother...Are they out there?" I asked her, my heart speeding up waiting for her to answer. I stared into her eyes and I saw a quick glimpse of guilt flash through, my brows furrowed and she inhaled. "I am your real mother." She insisted and I shook my head. "I am not you. You are not my real mother." I argued, she shook her head as well, but something was suspicious. "I am, you may not like it, but I am the mother who raised you, cared for you-" "I am not your blood!" I exclaimed then took a step close to her.

"What did you do to her?" I questioned, she shook her head and I knew I would get no true answer from her. She was stubborn until death, so I had to do something unethical. "What did you to my mom?" I pressed feeling a heavy weight on my chest. "I am your mom." She said with a smirk.

Before I could even breathe out, I grabbed the back of her neck and start to lead her towards the cage.

"Calypso." Four called for me as I dragged her inside as she tried to loosen my grip by trying wiggle out, but I was stronger now. "Turn the simulation system on!" I ordered as I dropped her to the platform and pulled out one of my batons then pointed it towards her as she looked up at me with pleading eyes. "Calypso!" Four called again and jumping inside as the cage closed down.

"I have to see, I have to know, Four!" I said hearing my own voice break, glancing at him then turned back to look at Evelyn who stood outside shocked by my actions. "Turn it on!" I ordered again. The familiar hum turned on and I looked up as the chords came down to attach themselves to Jeanine. She looked at me once again as I gestured her to stand with my baton and she slowly lifted herself up.

"Please...Don't do this." She begged me in a hushed voice. "You don't want to do this." She added, I slowly blinked and take in a sharp breath.

"Watch me."