12. sticky note apology

Start from the beginning

Everyone went silent. Having a mole in your mafia meant nobody could be trusted until you found the individual. I couldn't even trust my own people. At a time like this, I need their help more than ever, but the wrong information to the wrong person would make the whole operation crumble.

"Found him!" Sienna and Theo cheered and they shot out of their seats.

"What? The mole?" I asked, leaning forward.

"No, the guy who hired the assassins. Both of their accounts had money transferred from the same address every 6 days until the date of your attack." Sienna explained.

"On the same dates too. We tracked down the address and it belongs to Antonio Hernandez." Theo said as his face dropped.

"Don of Mexican Mafia." I whispered loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Isn't he rich? Why'd he hire such shit assassins' and make such stupid threats?" Lucas snorted.

"Holy shit guys, the ball." I said mainly to Kena and Sienna since the guys would probably have no idea.

"Oh my god. How the fuck did we just completely ignore that?" Kena said, shaking her head.

"I'd rather you tell us today than a few years, but go on I guess." Vincent said with an exasperated expression.

"It was the ball where it was announced I would soon be leader of my Mafia. Antonio told my father he should hold off on that for a bit, before the mafia fell apart. I always thought it was because I was still 17. Not because he thought it would be easier to tear it apart." I explained.

"Is this why he's trying to kill you? He thinks if you die the whole mafia will be wiped out?" Siena laughed.

Did the bastard forget I have a little brother? Sure, he won't rule anytime soon but in the meantime my father can continue until Ryder is ready and wants to. I knew a lot of people were against the possibility of a woman being a leader, but most knew I would do good. I wasn't named the 'devil' for nothing.

"Why is he after the Italian Mafia then?" Lucas asked as he scrunched his face in confusion.

"Power. Why else?" Kena said in a duh tone.

Right now, my mafia and the Italian mafia were the best. We both had been at the same level for years, it was why our rivalry had even begun. We both wanted to be the best.

That's why I want Vincent dead so desperately. Without him, there would be nobody to help his father rule. By the time Sarah became Donna, the Mafia would crumble. Leo is good at leading but Vincent is better.

Clearly, Antonio and Vincent thought the same about my Mafia. If I were to die as Donna, Kena would be the next leader. Our friendship and loyalty to each other went way back. I looked at Theo and Lucas. They currently had each other in chokehold over god knows what.

"Hey, if Vincent ended up dead in a ditch, who would be the next in line?" I asked.

"Lucas. Why?" Vincent asked.

So I know who to kill next. "Just asking." I shrugged.

I leaned forward and put my arms on the table.

"I actually wanted to speak to you guys about something. How would you feel about my brother living here? With us." I said looking at them.

"Does it matter what we say?" Vincent asked.

"I just need to know who I need to make a different arrangement for." I said.

"I don't mind." Theo and Lucas shrugged. I didn't bother asking Sienna and Kena. I knew how much they loved Ryder.

"One condition. Sarah stays here too." Vincent challenged.

"Deal." I nodded.

"So it's settled. It'll be the 8 of us now. Allow me to warn you," I glared at the three new people who had just recently become a bigger part of my life. "If you so much as lay a hurtful finger on him, I'll be sure to mail your head in a box to your homes."

"Same goes with Sarah." Vincent's icy grey eyes stared back at me.

I nodded my head and stood up. My problems stood with Vincent, not his sister. I would never let a child get caught in between this shit. As I walked through the kitchen and into the living room, I pulled out my phone and texted my grandmother to let her know Ryder would be coming to stay with me soon.

Standing in the elevator I opened my photos. I scrolled to about 4 years ago. Pictures of my mother and I were everywhere. Us laughing, my birthday, eating ice cream, doing face masks, watching movies. She was truly my best friend.