Chapter twentynine: Love and chances.

Start from the beginning

For a while all my brother did was stare at her watching the tears fall from her eyes. Starring at her crying face was like looking at the most beautiful and amazing and terrifying heart stopping waterfall. I was happy she finally cried but it hurt to watch her cry. I think Caden was having the same issue's because he let go of her hands and pulled her in for a big breath stealing hug.

“Maybe you’re just scared because for once in your messed up life someone actually wants to be with you. Someone who knows your faults and knows at least half of your pain. I know I don't know everything you've been through but I can try to understand. I want to understand, Acacia. I want to share your pain. I want you to open up to me and trust me. All I want from you is trust. I don't want you to love me. I don't want you to stay around me until we both die. I don't want money, kisses, hugs, or anything. I just want you to trust me and tell me what's hurting you so much. All I want is to make you smile and If I can make you laugh I'd be the happiest person alive and I could die peacefully. Acacia... All I want is to take away your pain.” Caden's voice was strangled and soft.

She means the world to him and doesn't even know it. She was the reason we let our family wall down and started hanging around with her. It was all because at first Caden really liked her. He somehow convinced mom not to send him away when she found out he liked her. At the same time I think she was secretly glad to have her little boy finally show interest in anyone. After all these years I think she was scared he would die alone.

When we found out Acacia fainted we went to go visit because Caden was going mad. He was so worried because they couldn't find out why she fainted. She was healthy, no recent blood loss, good mood, and no temperature. She looked oddly beautiful while she was asleep even though she looked completely scared. Then when she woke up she was screaming. Her scream sent chills down my spine, even Edwards. Which is pretty amazing considering we've all seen a lot of things and her one scream scared us more than anything before. I thought she was going to cry out in tears and whimper into Caden's chest instead she just evened her breath and got a hold of herself. I was surprised that even during that she still managed to notice us there. I was surprised about the way she treated my mother but I guess I can't blame her because, like Caden said, I don't know what she's been through. What I was most surprised about was that she took what Joseph said about her to heart; about her being a murderer. Even I could tell with one look that she wasn't even capable of murder but apparently she thought she was. Then after that and tearing apart her room and landing herself in the infirmary she still managed to somehow actually forgive Joseph. If I was in her spot I don't think I would have forgiven him. I hear her say that it wasn't his fault that it was something she was thinking about but still his hand was in there because most likely she would have thought about it if he hadn't said anything.

As time passed she kept surprising me. A prickle of niceness here and a hint of laughter potion there. The more time passed the more Joseph and Caden loved her, in all honesty we all came to love her. I think the only time we got to see her true self or at least what she has been hiding from us is when she was asleep. After Acacia and my brother kissed and Acacia purposely missed the meeting we started going into her room at night. We hoped we would find something out about her. That first night when Caden left the little notice I felt bad because when she went to class she was dead beat tired. Then she got in trouble and made all hell break loose in class. A little whisper here and everyone were back in their desks there. After that night she had nightmares every night. Sometimes if we were lucky she would whisper little tid bit's of it. She whispered about a group of boys and strangers trying to kill her. She whispered about someone being killed and another doing the killing. In all truths her dreams scared all of us. Who knew the girl who made us all laugh and acted as if nothing big was wrong was watching people die in her dreams every night. Every time I saw her the next morning I expected her to started screaming or crying or just break down someway but she never did. Caden told us it was because she likes to strong and independent. Somehow Caden can always predict what she is thinking and what she's going to do but the girl amazes me and is a mystery to me.

“Why? Why do you want that? Why do you love me? Why do you hold me?” Acacia whispered broken and partially defeated.

“Love doesn't need a reason; if you can explain why you love someone, it's not love, it's like. But I will tell you something. I will tell you why I started liking you. Your unintentionally funny, your sarcastic but not in the way that makes people want to hit you, your unabashedly snarky and unapologetically honest. You don't care what people think about you and you stand up for the people around you. You don't hold grudges. You’re extremely smart and beautiful. You do what you like and know what you want. You can always get things to go your way and you’re tough. You’re tough not only physically but mentally. Even if you don't think so because you cut yourself, you are. I know all about your nightmares and you have to be tough to be able to live through that every night and wake up the next morning like it never happened. You play such amazing music and you sing with such passion. Whether you know it or not even though you’re completely numb your true self still shines through. You’re completely amazing and you don't even want to face it. Even while your numb and show no emotion you still managed to get my family and I—and Rosemary to love you.”

I wonder what Acacia was thinking. Her sobs had stopped but she hasn't spoken a word. Maybe she was still digesting what Caden told her. I saw her face relax. She looked like she was enjoying the moment. She looked almost happy and for a second I thought she was going to smile. Until slowly her hands started to clench.

“I never believed in love at first site until the day I saw you... You’re so beautiful Acacia and you don't even know it.” Caden mumbled into the top of Acacia's head.

“I don't love. Whether you or anyone else loves me I don't love. I don't love anyone. Not my father, mother, Jared or even myself.” Slowly Acacia's voice got louder, stronger and fiercer.

“You can't know that. You might actually love someone and you should already love yourself. So many love you.” Caden said softly starring at the tree behind Acacia.

“No.” Acacia said strong and determined. She wasn't going to back down.