half of the truth is often a lie

Sorry I've been gone guys - its been summer and I wanted to get away from my laptop but I'm back to give an update on Iris and the Professor. Please remember to leave any tips if you have any and vote on chapters that you enjoyyyyy :) (btw I changed the ending of the last chapter just a bit as I felt it was moving a bit too fast)

Two days until the daunting ride back home for two everlasting weeks with dad. The Christmas spirit was booming around the halls. As seventh years we had to organise activities for the first years' first Christmas at Hogwarts. Normally there would be broom racing to find the bourball and who can grow the tallest Christmas tree the fastest but all the outside activities have been banned this year in fear of Sirius Black coming as a Christmas surprise. Instead me and Ced headed to the kitchens to grab some ingredients for the Christmas bake off. In the kitchens sat at the table in the corner were the house elves flicking through a book three times the size of them filled with luscious magical Christmas recipes. The room was filled with a scent of cinnamon, nutmeg and all types of different spices and herbs. I assumed they were preparing for the whole school Christmas lunch, the final meal before everyone headed home. We gathered the large white bags filled with flour and the neatly woven baskets filled with all the other ingredients and decorations. 

"You and May still in a bit of beef then?" Cedric edged on as we made our way to the great hall. 

"Clearly you know the answer", I said back sarcastically.

"Well ye but has nothing changed? I mean-" I interrupted.

"We were like Fred and George, inseparable, I know! Have you been sent to say this or what?"

"Nah it's not that Bluehorn you know we've always been closer anyway, it's just I needed to know if I could talk to you about May, if I could trust you, you know...?", I looked to him surprised and was met with a worried look.

"Go on", I smiled at him and waited for him to spill although it was quite risky to talk about private things whilst walking up quite a busy stairwell. 

"I think I need to end it - well not need - but - I don't know - just it has to end", he stuttered until the words finally came out then looked to me for console, "Just I don't want to hurt her and I don't know what to tell her, I don't even really know why", his frustration angered me - why would he come to me to sort this shit out. 

"Why are you asking me about this shit? In the end it's gonna come out that we talked about it and I am going to be blamed for your breakup. Please don't drag me into this stuff Ced", I always wanted to support Ced but I couldn't handle another hate group coming at me (especially one involving May). 

"Iris, you've become one of my closest mates - I just need a girl's advice. I know you and May aren't on good terms but that has nothing to do with this. Even if I don't want to be with her anymore doesn't mean I want to hurt her", he stopped in his tracks before the great hall to finish his sentence, "Please Iris."

"Maybe", I sighed in annoyance, "But later, we need to help these idiots bake Christmas cookies, ok?" we smiled at each other lightly and entered the great hall. We were surrounded by an aroma of roast chestnuts, open fire, hot chocolate and gingerbread. There were about 100 students rustling around the room to find the Professor they had been assigned, all very excited to be taking part in one of their first Hogwarts traditions. We went around each table to drop off their ingredients and hoped that we could head straight back out but - 

"Oh - Bluehorn, Diggory?" we turned are heads to Mcgonagal, "Are you the assigned helpers for this activity?" we both stayed silent and waited for the other to come up with an excuse, "Don't bother lying I can just check the list."