trouble?

It was the first weekend this term we were allowed to go on our Hogsmead trip. May and I met up with the boys at the front gate. We dropped off our permission slips with McGonagal and off we went. The wind was cold and the sky was covered in a deep coat of clouds, the sky always seemed depressing since the dementors haunted it. We didn't feel like drowning around in the pitiful weather so we wondered into the three broomsticks and sat down in a corner booth. I spotted a bundle of Professors reminiscing over old times, sitting at the bar. Amongst the group I caught sight of the Professor in his tartan suit but today without a tie, and his dark grey cardigan, he was enjoying a butter beer with Professor Trelawney. 

"Dibs not getting the beers", Jake and Tom shouted as soon as we had taken off our coats and settled in. 

"Oh well, neither", May quickly followed suit. 

"Alright then", I wacked the two boys over the head with my beanie and got up to make my way over to the bar. The room was filled with such good energy, it was fall and close to halloween so there were speaking pumpkins scattered everywhere, there were autumn leaves hanging from the ceiling and the air was warm. I dragged my red converse across the squeaky wooden floor boards over to the bar. 

"Four butter beers please", I looked over to the Professors who were seated just beside me. 

"There you go pretty lady", the bar tender was an utter freak, been saying that to me ever since fourth year. I felt a glare coming from next to me, the Professor's face had stiffened as he heard the comment. I burst out laughing, "Nice moustache Professor", his upper lip was covered in butter beer foam and I couldn't help but point it out (to save him the embarrassment of course). I winked and turned back to my table. I heard a chorus of chuckles form behind my back as I carried the large cold pints to the others. 

"Oh don't complain you lazy pig", Jake pointed out as I dropped the jugs with a dramatic sigh.

"It's quite the workout you know", I replied slumping myself down again onto the weathered brown cushions of the booth.

"You reckon all those teachers actually have a life outside of Hogwarts? I mean look at them, a bunch of socially awkward losers", Tom joked keeping a close eye on the group of Professors still conversing at the bar.

"They must have no? I mean what do they do in summer?" May replied sympathetically. 

"I doubt any of them have family or a love life. Who has the time when your teaching at fucking Hogwarts", Tom correctly stated.

"What about inside romances? I bet there's a few of those..." May giggled into her butter beer, foam flying up her nose.

"What about Lupin and Trewalney? He's being quite the flirt", Jake said whilst pointing out Lupin's body language towards the other Professor. I wondered to myself, had he ever found love? He was quite charming I had to admit, but had he ever put it into action?

"I don't know, as unbelievably sexy that man is I think he might swing in both directions", May once again giggled into her beer.

"Really? What makes you think that?" I asked curiously. I had spent a significant amount of time with encounters with the Professor and I never really got that sort of vibe off him. Maybe I was wrong, but for some reason which I didn't understand I hoped May was wrong.

"Have you seen the way he holds his wand or stands in the classroom when he is watching us work?", we all stared at May in utter confusion, "No? I don't know, I'm probably wrong but I must admit I am quite excellent at reading body language", May pulled back and looked disappointed at our disagreement. 

"Anyway May, isn't your date with Ced-" I was quickly cut off.

"It's not a date!" she buried her bright red face into Jake's shoulder whilst we all began laughing. 

"Of course not May, what would make us think that?"

"Definitely not you dreaming about this day for the past two years!"

"Embrace the love you twat! Go for it girl!" 

"It is quite exciting isn't it?" May arose from hiding her face and gave a large grin. We continued to discuss May's boy life but I was distracted by the Professor. He was putting on his overcoat and hat whilst intently studying the image of Sirius Black that was plastered on the crumbling wall near the door. He caught me staring, I didn't move my eyes off him, I simply gave a little smile. He lifted his hat to bid me goodbye and vanished out the door. 

What a strange man I thought to myself. 

§§

We were up in the dorms, I was doing May's hair whilst Charlie Sheer was trying to put eyeliner on May which proved to be unnecessarily difficult because May couldn't keep still. 

"You need to calm down", I shouted at her (in the nicest way possible), "you are just duelling, your hair will be messed up in the first five minutes anyway!" I tried to reassure her.

"Your right but it's Cedric Diggory" May whined whilst pulling down her jumper a little. 

"All right May watch out that your tits don't fly out" Charlie laughed as May readjusted her bra. 

"Ok May let's go, you're gonna be late", I had promised to bring her to the study classroom where they had arranged to meet. 

"I am so nervous Iris", May stuttered as we walked through the dark halls. The sun had set which meant only travelling around in two's. The castle was still bustling with pupils heading back to common rooms or off to visit their owls. 

"You'll be alright May, you're brilliant and anyone who doesn't see that is a pathetic prick", I gave off a sarcastic smile which was returned with a slightly worried smirk back. I spent the next ten minuted reassuring her all would be good. We finally got to the classroom, "Hey Ced!" I shouted from the hall as I pushed May through the door frame. I listened to a bit of their small talk before realising I should probably go and get a life. I began my way back to the common room, the halls and stairwells had cleared and I felt quite alone. It was a little creepy, I didn't like it. Something felt off. 

I suddenly heard voices ahead of me, "Severus I have nothing to do with it, I promise", I poked my head around the corner.

"For some ridiculous reason I do not trust you Remus", it was Snape's voice that had hissed back to the Professor. They were standing right in my way to get back to house but I realised I was alone and could definitely get a detention for this. The Professor was facing in my direction, he quickly caught sight of me and also realised this couldn't be a good sign for me. His eyes signalled for me to go back around the corner, I followed his instructions. 

"Good Evening Remus, I hope the stars don't scare you too much", and with that I heard Snape's footsteps ascend down the hall. What did he mean? What's wrong with stars? I intended to find out. I skipped around the corner towards the Professor who was standing watching me approach with look of annoyance.

"Again Miss Bluehorn?" The Professor sighed and rolled his eyes at me.

"What's wrong smart one? Am I causing you too much trouble?" 

"You? Trouble? No, definitely not!", he exhaled with a sarcastic tone. 

"Thought so", I gave a big smile back, "Anyway have fun star gazing", and off I was again, skipping down the hall.

"Why do you always just walk off when we have a conversation?" his voice echoed after me.

I turned, crossed my arms and laughed, "I like leaving you to figure out the rest of the conversation".

"You are a mystery".