chpt. 24

I pulled her close to my chest and I relaxed. "I love...you..." I whispered to her sleeping figure. I felt shocked, it felt more real when I said it out loud. My shock soon turned to pride, I really fücking love this woman.

I was about to place a kiss on her forehead before I heard my cellphone ring. I quickly reached over to to pick it up off of the nightstand, not wanting to wake Ashlyn up. I didn't recognize the number but I picked it up anyways.

"Michaelson." I said in a low voice.

"It's Marcus, did you and my daughter arrive to your hotel yet?" Something in his tone sounded...off, worried even. Knowing the type of man that he is, the emotion alarmed me significantly.

"Yes, we have. Is everything alright sir?" I asked, earning a sigh from the other line. I felt the dread that built up in my stomach as I carefully slipped out of bed, stepping out onto the balcony. I took another look at Ashlyn, who was still sound asleep.

"Ever since Ashlyn's attack, your father and I have decided to recruit moles from within Jason's pack, to track his every move. We originally thought that he had tried to kidnap her to get back at you for Leila, but it's much more than that...he needs her-my daughter for a theory he's working on." The stress and anger in his tone was evident and I'm pretty sure I mirrored his emotions.

I gripped the railing of the balcony as memories from that night came flooded my memory, what could he possibly want with my Mate? He needed her for a theory, as if she's some type of an experiment? I supressed the growl that threatened to rip out of me at the thought. He wouldn't get the chance to be within 2 feet of her, I'll make sure of itb His words put me on edge, I urged him to go on, asking him the question that I so desperately wanted to know the answer to.

"Why did he try to kidnap her that night? What could he possibly want with her?" My stomach clenched as I waited through the momentary silence.

"He wants her-" He paused when the loud creak of the balcony doors being opened rang out.

"Rayne?" Ashlyn called out from behind me, her head poking out between the balcony doors.

I took a deep breath, quickly masking the concern on my face, not wanting to alarm her. She chose the worst possible moment to wake up! She yawned and raised her arms over her head, causing her shirt to rise and expose her toned, flawless stomach. I drank up the sight but sobered up when her father spoke up again.

"Ashlyn's around you? In that case, do not mention our conversation to her by any means. We'll finish our chat later but in the meantime, please be safe and watch over my little girl."

"Of course...good night." He said his goodbye and I ended the call soon after.

I felt a medley of emotions at this point. I was alarmed at the urgency in his tone, angry that Jason has a target on my Mate's back, and I felt wicked satisfaction as I imagined killing Jason with my bare hands. I wanted him to suffer for all the harm he's brought to my pack and the love of my life. I swore to protect that woman with my life, and to love her with my heart and soul. Finding out his agenda filled me with more zealous passion needed to do just that.

"Babe, what's wrong? Who were you speaking to?" She asked, placing a warm hand over my chest. I placed my hand over hers and offered her a small smile. Her father insisted that I keep our conversation a secret and I knew better than to disobey his request (he was a scary guy).

"Nothing babygirl, I was just handling some pack business." I placed a kiss on her forehead then wrapped my arm around her waist, leading us back into the room towards the bed.

"You sure?" She said, her voice hoarse with sleepiness. I nodded and pulled her down onto the bed beside me. She snuggled into me as she loved to do as I wrapped my arms around her.

"Yes, now sleep." She didn't protest and closed her eyes. I was thankful that she was too tired to not push the topic any further.

I was wide awake. Even though the conversation was short, it still replayed in my mind like a broken record.

"He wants her-"

What does Jason want with Ashlyn? Whatever it is, he's sure as hell not getting it.

She's ours!, my Wolf growled out. I couldn't agree more.

----

Hey readers, I apologize for the late update. My family just suffered a recent tragedy and I've been taking some time off of writing to focus on healing and school, as the last semester has arrived and it's usually the most difficult. I hope you all understand and enjoy the chapter.

Don't forget to vote my loves ❤️😁

Kisses,
Ash