Chapter 9

Since becoming a full-time employee, Lisa is in a bit of a hurry. Everyday, she is counting down the days Big Boss would come back. For example: every morning before stepping into Jeon Corporations's building, she looks up at the 22nd floor with eyes full of fighting spirit. Every evening after work, she stands outside and looks up again with eyes full of regrets before reluctantly go home.

Thus everyone in Jeon Corporation's building knows in the days the President is away, Lisa always looks up at his office in anguish. Apparently she is falling sick from loving too deeply.

***

Today at noon, Lisa eats lunch then lays down on her desk to take a nap. After sleeping for awhile, the phone rings. Lisa lazily picks up the phone and Rosé's voice rings out.

"Lisa , if you're free, come up here."

Come up?!

Lisa sits up, is Big Boss back?!

She solemnly says "all right" and hangs up the phone. Lisa takes a deep breath – calm down, calm down! Lisa! Remember the Goddess of Victory is always on the side of justice! Do not crumble just because Big Boss is handsome and wealthy.

Lisa instantly changes from being sleepy to getting ready for battle, her spirit burns with an intensity all the way up to the 22nd floor.

Rosé sees her coming and waves at her. "Lisa, over here."

Lisa waves her hands left and right to gesture "no," they can only talk later. Her feet firmly march to the door of the President's office. While knocking the door, she recites mentally what she wants to say over and over again.

She cannot gossip with Rosé now. Talking will break down her fighting spirit – – – that is what happens in wuxia novels.

Knock knock ...... knock knock ...... knock knock knock knock ...... the knocking continues ......

Nobody answers.

Lisa feels silly and turns to look behind her.

Rosé and several secretaries cover their mouths to keep from bursting out in laughter. Rosé laughs and gasps: "Lisa, the President has not come back."

"...... Then why you called me up ......"

"If we're not the President, we can't call you? I went home for a visit last week and I've brought back some specialty food for you."

Rosé tries to contain her laughs while handing over a bag.

"Oh, thank you, thank you."

Before a crowd of people with eyes filled with merriment, Lisa breaks into a sweat, accepts the bag and weakly walks downstairs.

Round 1, Lisa completely loses — — — she does not get close enough to even touch Big Boss's clothes.

***

Rosé's mood remains good for the rest of the afternoon. She has to call Jungkook about a business matter. When it is done, Rosé says without thinking: "President, Lisa really misses you."

Her heart thumps in suspense. She feels foolish and fears she has overstepped her boundary. Jungkook is not an approachable boss. It is hard to get close to him. Everyone treats him with utmost respect. Non-business matters are said with caution but Lisa's recent antics have made Rosé relaxed. She is not sure why she said what she just did out loud.

Jungkook is caught by surprise. After a pause, he casually answers back: "Oh?"

Rosé tries to guess the President's "Oh,". She feels that he is interested so she continues, secretly relieved and quickly explain everything Lisa had done.

***

Thus in the evening, as Lisa sits in front of her computer, playing games, she receives a strange phone call.

"The plane leaves in two hours, so it'll arrive at noon tomorrow."

Without waiting for Lisa to answer, the other side calmly hangs up.

Holding the phone for a long time, Lisa finally figures out it is Big Boss's voice.

The arrogance, the arrogance! Lisa angrily throws the phone on the bed – – – Big Boss is not back yet but declaring war already.

And to make an international, long distance call!!!

Money oh money ...... Lisa is sad over the phone fee, looks back at the computer and almost vomits blood.

Just now, she has obviously beaten the Boss to the last drop of blood! How come she is lying in a pool of blood now! The Boss triumphantly circles her dead body ...... (Note: In online games, each monster is known as "Boss." After killing one, the player(s) get rewards.)

Certainly, all bosses are the same, always resorting to diversionary tactics.

Old debts plus new hatred!

Come back tomorrow!!! Lisa stares at the computer with burning eyes, her hand in a fist.

***

The next day, Lisa receives a private call from Rosé. The President's plane will arrive in S City at noon so he will be in the company around one o'clock. Lisa does not wait for Jungkook's summon. After lunch, she runs upstairs straight away with a fighting spirit. She will wait for him on the 22nd floor.

Waiting, waiting, Lisa falls asleep near Rosé.

***

At twelve forty-five, Jungkook appears with Jennie and Senior Assistant Park on the 22nd floor. All the secretaries stand up in greeting. Rosé pushes Lisa but there is no response. She pushes again and a half-asleep Lisa raises her head up.

Everything is out of focus and there are a few indistinct shadows. After a while, everything gradually clear up and Lisa looks into a pair of eyes.

Lisa does not have the skills to decipher the thoughts behind those eyes. The owner of the eyes looks at her. His eyebrows indicate surprise and laughter twinkles in his eyes.

Rosé says: "President, Miss Manoban came here as soon as she finishes lunch."

Jungkook grunts and proudly walks into his office: "Come in."

Lisa still innocently sits by Rosé.

Jennie says: "Miss Manoban, the President called for you to go inside."

Ah! The President! Big Boss!

Lisa is wide awake!