Snow

*info, after the days events Hailey has gone home.. they rode in silence back to 21st and finished up paperwork. Hailey and Jay are in their apartments*

*General POV*
*Hailey comes back to her apartment and as she walks into she drops her keys and closes the door. She leans against the wall and slowly slides down, she inhaled but her breathing is jagged and irregular, her lip wobbled and her face crumpled as she lets out a sob.*
I hate myself for what I put Jay through earlier, with no explanation and reason for it he must feel so bad. The moment my reflex's brought my arms to my head I wanted to sink into the ground. What was WRONG with me. 7 years I had been out of that home and 7 years later I still feel scared.
*Jays POV*
I switched off my engine, but I didn't get out. I sat staring into the soft flakes of snow that slowly blanketed my window screen. Was it me? Was she scared? I thought we were good.
As thoughts raced through my head I found my self driving again.
*Hailey's POV*
I needed a drink. As I went to my fridge to get a beer I noticed photos I forgot were there, one was me, Rojas and Atwater all smiling outside out favourite coffee shop with steaming paper cups. And the other was Jay and I, it was taken in unit, by my desk, I was in the foreground, a huge smile plastered across my face, but Jay was in the back pulling some goofy look as usual. I smiled sadly. It was bittersweet.
I reached into my fridge to grab a beer, and then I remembered my dad had cleared it out. There was glass inside of the shelves, presumably left by his drunken state, I cursed as a shard of glass pricked my finger.
"Guess this means another trip to the shop" I mumbled as I went to get my keys, in teh mirror bu the door I wiped my mascara smudges from under my eyes and brushed my hair back over the plaster. A bruise was forming, blues and purples emerged from under cut. "Just great" I said in my head.

*Jay's POV*
Climing the stairs I realised what I wa doing, I had no idea what I was going to say. 'Oh hey Hailey, just checking in to see if you're okay because oh idk you flinched when I moved my arm?!'.
*Hailey's POV*
I put on some gentle pink lipstick and check my forehead one more time. Opened the door and stepped out.
As I spun round I was met directly by Jay. We spun into each other "woah Jay, what are you doing here?" I asked, my face a mix of confusion and embarrassment. "Hailey, about what happened earlier, I- I don't know what to say..." His voice trailed off, I could tell he was upset and confused. I looked at him for a minute, how had I put him through this, he was the sweetest, kindest person I had met, Hell he had driven in the snow to find me. "Jay.. I.." I racked my brain for answers "shall we get a drink?" Was all I managed to spill out. "Yea, yes! Let's do that." He replied.

*Jay's POV*
It wasn't late, only 7, Molly's was bubbling over and we could here Stella shouting over the crowd. I outstretched my hand to hold teh door open for her and she looked up at me, a meek smile at the corners of her mouth. Her eyes twinkled under the amber light, she as beautiful, her pale cheeks tinged with a slight fuchsia. The way she looked at me in that short moment, her eyes wide and her mouth dropped slightly; it's like she as trying to tell me something.
We squeezed through the crowd and found a quiet corner, Stella came over "HI! You will not believe how busy we are, Kelly has had to get behind the bar, Hermann REFUSES to turn people away." She rolled her eyes slightly and I chuckled, "anyways what can I get you" "I'll grab a beer, Hails?"
*Hailey's POV*
'Hails' I love it when he calls me that, it's sweet. "Yea um same" I replied smiling to stella. "Alright coming right up!" She walked away, laughing as she stumbled through the overwhelming crown of people.

*General POV*
Jay and Hailey both begin a sentence at the same time. "Hailey I don't know what to s-" "Jay about last nigh-" they pause and laugh slightly. "I was just on edge, honestly, I.. there's nothing wrong." Hailey said, confidently but with a slight hesitation at the end. Jay nodded slightly, with a slight frown on his face. He looks at her, the twinkling blue eyes locking together. "Hails we are not just partners, I'll always be there for you, no matter what, how big or how small. I'll always be there"
*Hailey's POV*
I felt that ache in my throat. My voice was broken and quiet, "Jay I-" I trailed off, I couldn't tell him. Not now, not here. "What? What is it?" He said reassuringly. They were suddenly interrupted by the beers being heavily placed on the table by Stella, who was in the middle of apologising for her yelling, whilst yelling more "HEY! YOU TWO CUT IT OUT" she said, directed to a rather clumsy arm wrestle happening at the bar. Jay laughed and flashed his badge at them, his face going stern. They put their hands up and went back to drinking.
*they both drink their beers*
"Wanna get outta here" Jay asked, seeing she was getting more in edge, her hands were clenched tightly and she was looking around rapidly. "Mhmm" she replied quietly

*Hailey's POV*
I felt relieved, happier and I knew why, I was falling for Jay Halstead. He cares for me, but did he feel the same? Or were we just partners, all these thoughts were racing through my head as we stumbled out of the door. The snow was falling thick and fast, it was beautiful.

*Jay's POV*
The snow fell into her face, her crystal eyes framed by thick eyelashes were turning a mysterious white, she was smiling now, looking up at the blue night and then back at me. She went to walk but slipped and slid on the slushy ice. Slowly and softly I went for her waist, i cupped my hands around her and pulled her closer, to steady her feet.

*Hailey's POV*
As his hands slid softly round my waist, I felt an overwhelming sense of emotion came over me, any kind physical touch had only ever come after a beating, my father never gave it to me, but my mother would stand and watch, then clasp me in her arms once he had gone. But I wasn't scared, I was happy. I had never felt so safe. Tears pricked in my eyes I looked up at his face, he looked down at me, his chiseled face was perfect, he smiled down, and gently brought his hand up, brushing his rough fingers against my smooth skin, tucking a wisp of hair behind my ears.
"I'm never gonna leave you, Hailey"
Those words seemed to float in the air, echoing through my ears. I blushed, I smiled and a gust of sudden wind blew across us.

I felt my stomach drop. His face twitched, the carved smile dropped. I tried to pull away but he was still clasping me.

*Jay's POV*
"What was that?" I asked, gently but stern. "N-nothing" she stammered "it's just a scratch" "it's more than a scratch Hailey." I smoothed her hair away from her forehead and revealed a blue-black bruise, covered by a plaster.
"Who did this?" I breathed.
No answer "I said who did this"
——————————————————
Omg what a chapter!! Please vote for more chapters and don't forget to follow!
My onechicago insta is @ onechicxgofan_