Shadow [3]

Sam and Dean sat at the table in the motel room after Sam explained what had happened, both talking quietly as Nadine had fallen asleep.

"So, hot little Meg is summoning the Daeva?" Dean said.

"Loos like she was using that black altar to control the thing," Sam explained.

"So, Sammy's got a thing for the bad girl." Dean chuckled.

Sam rolled his eyes.

"And what's the deal with that bowl again?" Dean asked.

"She was talking into it. The way witches used to scry into crystal balls or animal entrails. She was communicating with someone," Sam said.

"With who? With the Daeva?"

"No, you said those things were savages. No, this was someone different. Someone who's giving her orders. Someone who's comin' to that warehouse,"

Dean thought for a moment and glanced at some files on the table. "Holy crap,"

"What?"

"I pulled a favor with my..." Dean cleared his throat "friend, Amy, over at the police department. The complete records of the two victims-we missed something the first time,"

"What?" Sam turned a few of the files so he could look them over.

"The first victim, the old man-he spent his whole life in Chicago, but he wasn't born here. Look where he was born." Dean pointed to something on the page.

"Lawrence, Kansas,"

"Mmhmm," Dean picked up the second file "Meredith, second victim-turns out she was adopted. And guess where she's from,"

The paper read Lawrence, Kansas.

Sam sat down across from Dean, clearly shocked "Holy crap,"

"Yeah," Dean agreed.

"I mean, it is where the demon killed Mom. That's where everything started. So, you think Meg's tied up with the demon?"

Dean turned one of Natalia's recent drawings towards sam "I think it's a definite possibility,"

"But I don't understand. What's the significance of Lawrence? And how do these Daeva things fit in?"

"Beats me." Dean shrugged "But I say we trash that black altar, grab Meg, and have ourselves a friendly little interrogation,"

"No, we can't. We shouldn't tip her off. We've gotta stake out that warehouse. We've gotta see who, or what is showin' up to meet her,"

"I'll tell you one thing. I don't think we should do this alone,"

***

Sam entered the room with bags full of weapons.

"We think we've got a serious lead on the thing that killed Mom. So, uh, this warehouse-it's 1435 West Erie." Dean said as he left his dad a voicemail "Dad if you get this, get to Chicago as soon as you can," he hung up.

"Voicemail?" Sam asked.

"Yeah." Dean gestured to the bags "Jesus, what'd you get?"

Sam chuckled. "I ransacked that trunk. Holy water, every weapon that I could think of, exorcism rituals from about half a dozen religions. I'm not sure what to expect, so I guess we should just expect everything,"

Dean nodded and they began loading their guns silently.

Sam glanced over at Natalia who was sitting on the bed doodling.

"Big night," Dean noted.

"Yeah. You nervous?" Sam asked.

"No. Why, are you?"

Sam looked away from Natalia and back at the guns in front of him. "No. No way. God, could you imagine if we actually found that damn thing? That demon?"

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves, all right?"

"I know. I'm just sayin', what if we did? What if this whole thing was over tonight? Man, I'd sleep for a month. Go back to school-be a person again,"

"You wanna go back to school?"

"Yeah, once we're done huntin' the thing,"

"Huh," Dean laughed.

"Why, is there somethin' wrong with that?"

"No. No, it's, uh, great. Good for you,"

"I mean, what are you gonna do when it's all over?"

"It's never gonna be over. There's gonna be others. There's always gonna be somethin' to hunt,"

"But there's got to be somethin' that you want for yourself..."

"Yeah, I don't want you to leave the second this thing's over, Sam," Dean walked over to the dresser.

"Dude, what's your problem?"

"Why do you think I drag you everywhere? Huh? I mean, why do you think I came and got you at Stanford in the first place?"

"'Cause Dad was in trouble. 'Cause you wanted to find the thing that killed Mom,"

"Yes, that, but it's more than that, man. You and me and Dad-I mean, I want us...I want us to be together again. I want us to be a family again,"

"Dean, we are a family. I'd do anything for you. But things will never be the way they were before. I'm a Dad now, I can't live this life forever. Dean, when this is all over, you're gonna have to let me go my own way,"

***

Sam and Dean climbed the elevator gate of the warehouse and reached the top room.

Meg was standing at the altar, speaking in an ancient language.

Quietly, Sam and Dean squeezed through the space between the gate and the wall.

Sam and Dean drew their guns and moved to the other side of the room, hiding behind some crates.

"Guys," Meg called out.

Sam and Dean looked at each other, stunned.

"Hiding's a little bit childish, don't you think?"

"Well, that didn't work out like I planned," Dean admitted.

Meg turned around to face them. "Why don't you come out?"

Sam and Dean came out from behind the crates.

"What didn't want to bring your little girl?" Meg teased.

Sam's hold on the gun tightened until his knuckles were white.

"So, where's your little Daeva friend?" Dean questioned.

"Around." Meg smirked "you know, that shotgun's not gonna do much good,"

"Oh, don't worry, sweetheart. The shotgun's not for the demon,"

"So, who is it, Meg?" Sam demanded "Who's coming? Who are you waiting for?"

"You," Meg admitted as the shadow demon began to form on the wall.

The Daeva knocked Sam to the ground and threw Dean into the crates.

A claw-like scratch appeared on Sam's face.