Chapter |52| Struck By Lightning

Elliot gripped my hand as we rushed towards the mayhem erupting in the town square

Elliot gripped my hand as we rushed towards the mayhem erupting in the town square. Several houses were on fire, the flames angry and hot as they destroyed the livelihoods of these people without a care.

My guards rushed forward, the two of them pulling me away from Elliot and gripping each arm. "Your Majesty, we have to leave now." I couldn't speak, couldn't breath. Instead I stood paralysed, in shock by the flames that engulfed and destroyed the lives of the villagers within seconds.

"My son! My son!" I heard a woman wail, and turned to watch her collapse in someone's arms as they held her back. Elliot's eyes met mine and they softened, a slight smile on his face before he leapt into action and dove straight into the burning house.

"Elliot!" I screamed, lurching forward. My guards pulled me back away from the flames, but the shock registered on their faces was enough to plant their feet still.

"Arabella," I sighed in relief as Max came into view. He had an angry burn make running down the length of his arm and soot covering his face but yet, he still smiled.

"Elliot he..." My eyes trailed off to stare at the burning mess before me. Max's eyes widened and he wrapped his arm around my waist, letting me burrow my face into his chest.

"Save him, please someone save him." I realised now that the pain was almost similar to the excruciating agony I felt when I learned of Hardin's death. My heart hurt so bad and my stomach turned making me want to retch.

However, I was watching it happen. Elliot was in those burning flames trying to be hero, and yet he may die in the process.

"Arabella," I heard Max whisper, but I shook my head, keeping my eyes tightly wound shut.

I couldn't deal with this again, I couldn't lose someone I cared about. I was tired of death and pain and loss. I thought I had found some glimmer of happiness in spending time with these men, with Elliot, and now it felt as though it was all going to be ripped away.

"Arabella, look." There was relief in his voice, relief that gave me the courage to look up. Al I saw was a figure running towards us, covered in soot and singes. His face a tired exhaustion and yet he found the strength to flash me a smile.

"Elliot," I cried, rushing forward to hug him. He let out a pained grunt but held onto my anyways, wrapping one arm around my waist. Pulling back, I noticed the small weeping boy in his arms that couldn't have been anymore than seven.

"My baby, oh my baby boy." His mother took him, crying, and professed her immense gratitude and thank you over and over again to Elliot. She even pecked his cheek.

"You need a doctor." I stated. He shook his head and I opened my mouth again but he pressed his finger to my lips, silently shutting me up.

"I just need a cold shower, some Vaseline and some fresh clothes."