Chapter |8| Aftermath

A R A B E L L A ' S  P.O.V

I opened my eyes, squinting as a raging headache hit me suddenly. My cheek was throbbing, and my entire body felt as though I had just been hit by a truck.

Then all my memories came flooding back. Clarissa, and her brave attempt to save me, the man who savagely beat me, the baby.

Immediately my hand dropped to my stomach, the prominent bump was sticking out and feeling full. Even though my fear was slightly eased, there was this strange sense of promise that was slowly creeping in.

If my baby was...god, I couldn't even say the words.

"Arabella," My name was called out, sounding like a siren quietly beckoning me over. I turned my head, groaning slightly, as my body was lifted up so my back was pressed against a headboard.

"Hey, welcome back baby. How are you feeling?" His voice was like my safety net, and suddenly I knew that everything was going to be alright.

The silhouette of his face was blurred slightly, the sun streaming in was hitting him at the perfect angle. An unearthly aura surrounded him and I smiled sleepily, as I reached out to touch his cheek.

My fingers brushed with the smooth texture of his skin, and I gasped. He really was real.

His hand lifted up, his palm cupping my hand  that lay pressed against his cheek. I couldn't help the flood of tears that escaped me in the moment, painful sobs rocked through my chest, as I relived the painful experience of bleeding out on the dirty dungeon floors.

"Shh, baby I'm here now." His arm swept me up in one fluid motion, pulling me onto his lap. Clinging onto his shirt, I continue to cry in his arms, basking in the feeling of being cradled against his chest.

One of his hands held my stomach, ever so gently, as if the slightest amount of pressure would cause me harm. The baby.

"Hardin," I whispered, my voice sounding hoarse and brittle. Immediately he reached across the bed, and grabbed a pitcher of water, carefully pouring the contents into large glass.

As if I was a child, he held it up to my lips and helped me to drink, the cold refreshing liquid seeming to quench my undying thirst. "Is that better?" I nodded, trying to conserve my strength.

"Hardin the baby, our baby? Are they okay?" The next couple of seconds that followed happened to be the longest of my entire life.

"Yes, our baby is perfectly fine. The doctor did an ultrasound a couple of days ago, and said our little one was just resting in there peacefully." I smiled, content with the news, when suddenly it dawned upon me.

"You said couple of days ago? How long have I been out?" He anxiously gnawed at his bottom lip, something he does whenever he's nervous.

"A week, that bastard hit you very hard. You probably have a concussion, so you should get some more rest."

"By the sounds of it, I've been resting for too long." I stubbornly muttered. Hardin chuckled, pressing a kiss onto my forehead, as he lay me to rest.

"That's my girl." He whispered, smoothing back my hair. Our eyes met, just for a second, and suddenly we were both sucked into an unbreakable trance. I became mesmerised by the silver flakes circling in his eyes, our undying love pouring out of a single look.