27. I Do Not Fear the Darkness

Mulai dari awal

"The wards!" someone shouted. "They broke the wards!"

It was true, and they all felt it. The only thing that was protecting their lands from being swarmed by abominable monsters prowling the Blighted Lands was gone. The wave of uncertainty passed through the ranks.

Skylar raised her sword high in the air and roared at the top of her lungs: "I do not fear the darkness!" 

Hundreds of soldiers immediately picked up the words, and the chant echoed through the valley like a battle cry. 

"I DO NOT FEAR THE DARKNESS!"

And then, the valley below exploded with movements. The soldiers in black armours started up the hills, but from behind them moved a mass of wolf-like beasts. Blood Vultures were well-known beasts for everyone who ever patrolled the borders. They looked roughly like wolves, but were bigger and stronger, even though they looked like they'd been starved half to death. But they were swift, and their fangs and claws were sharp, which made them extremely dangerous.

"Shields!" Skylar roared, raising her sword again. The soldiers behind her made three steps forward and slammed their heavy shields into the ground, creating an impenetrable line covering the whole hilltop.

"Spears!"

Another row of soldiers stepped onward and lowered the long spears, locking the end in the ground and leaving the sharp blades sticking over the shoulders of shieldmen.

The Blood Vultures were almost halfway up the hill.

"Archers! Nock the arrows! Wait for the command!" Skylar yelled.

Soldiers were standing firm, waiting impatiently for the impact. The archers stood ready, their bowstrings held firmly back, arrows notched and aimed in the air.

"Hold!" Skylar bellowed, not taking her eyes off the charging monsters. When they finally passed the midpoint on the hill, she swung her sword down. "Fire!"

The arrows flew, and the monsters who were hit fell and rolled down the slope, tripping other beasts. But it hardly slowed down the incoming horde.

"Archers, fire at will!" Skylar roared. "Shields and spears, brace for the impact!"

And then, the dark mass of ferocious beasts smashed into the shield wall.

***

Gawyn was sitting on the horse at the western border of Shawcross' lands, accompanied by the elite unit of soldiers. They could see the cloud of dust covering the horizon, indicating that the Queen's army was almost there. They didn't have to wait long before the lavish horse-drawn carriage appeared, surrounded by a royal guard in parade uniforms. The General stopped himself from rolling his eyes. Those armours were more for show than for the actual battle – they might look fancy, but they were bulky and impractical. Only a complete novice in military matters would send the soldiers to the front wearing those. Or someone who didn't care for casualties.

The carriage came to a stop a few yards away from them. The commander of the soldiers hopped off his horse and trotted to the vehicle to assist the Queen. He was young, but Gawyn couldn't distinguish his features from a distance. The remaining guards also got off their horses, and one of them tapped the ground with the banner he was holding. "All hail Queen Elinora Hawkclaw! Bow to your Queen!"

Elinora got off the carriage. She was wearing a beautiful dress with some golden armour parts that were fitted for visual purposes only. But what made Gawyn clench his fists in anger was the crown. It was the King's crown, the one that belonged to Alarat. 

Before she murdered him in cold blood. 

Gawyn's hands itched. He wished he could draw his sword and kill her right now. But he knew it would be foolish. And so, he waited. But neither he nor any of his soldiers bothered to get off their horses.