win all or lose all

Word Count: 5950

(Y/N)'s P.O.V.

I tapped my fingers along the desk as my father talked, his voice monotone as always. All I could catch was that we fucked up with the nether, I never cared much for the politics of the kingdom... which wasn't exactly the best since I was the heir, after all.

"(Y/N)." I looked up at the sound of my name, giving a small hum for the speaker to continue. "Be careful, they're probably planning something soon." I hummed again in response.

"What did we do to them, anyways?" I spoke up, looking up from my hands.

"... Well," Father paused, collecting his words and thoughts, "We may or may not have sent men in search of gold, and instead of gathering it from the overworld, they went to the nether."

I furrowed my brows. "The one agreement we had with the piglins was that we'd stay on our side, and they'd stay on their side."

"Yes, I know."

"If they take it badly, this could be the start of another war, and we all know how the last one turned out." I spoke without thinking, and the entire room stood quiet at the mention of the last war. It started when I was barely four, and ended two years ago. I'm twenty-one now.

That's fifteen years worth of fighting. Many people lost their lives, villages were burnt down to the ground, and no one truly won in the end, they just decided to start a truce and sign a contract.

They'd stay on their side, and we'd stay on our's.

"Yes, I know." Father repeated. "We can't let that happen- we are still recovering from the last war."

"There's no way that they'd start another war." A member of the court spoke, "we're recovering and so are they."

"We don't know that, the truce was fragile to begin with!" Father spoke, impatient.

"We've had meetings after the war, we're on good terms!" the court argued.

Father slammed his fist into the table, shutting everyone up. "We must not aggravate them further, nor purposely start another war, but we must be ready for one, should a new war start." He stood up, "Be ready to gather the able-bodied people, over eighteen, under twenty-six, plus any other volunteers, they are welcomed. We must train them in battle strategies, medical skills, how to work a weapon..." He turned to the general, "You can handle that, right?"

"Once the piglins set their kind to war, then I will, gladly."

"Thank you, general." the king walked off, "meeting dismissed."

The general grumbled something before leaving too, along with the rest of the court, leaving me with my sister, Amber. She had stayed quiet for the entire meeting, careful with her words as always.

"(Y/N)." Amber spoke softly, "You alright?"

"I'm... not sure." I sighed, running a hand down my face, "I can't imagine being monarch, look around, Am." Amber stood up, and I followed her actions. "We're on the brink of war. Again."

"We've been testing our luck, I must say." Amber sighed, "especially with the..." she drifted off, "the massacre that wasn't even our problem."

"Why don't you take the crown?" I asked, trying to switch the topic and picking up the books sprawled across the desk.

"Me? Well, (Y/N) you must be jok-"

"Am, I'm not."

"(Y/N), no. You're the rightful heir."