Chapter 12

"Wow... That's... Quite the story you got there. I'm sorry that happened to you."

As the sun slowly began to rise, a peaceful chirping noise came from the birds hidden amongst the trees that became friendlier in the early morning brightness.

The unseasonably cold seeped through your layers of clothing and the exposed skin on your face felt as if it had been touched with lit cigarettes.

You were sitting down on one of the park's benches. Everything was covered in white frost and barely anyone else was outside except for the two of you.

You had rang up Roman just two hours ago and basically blurted out the horror movie that was your life to him.

"Are you well?" His voice was quiet but his lips tugged up faintly at the corners while he flickef his tired eyes over your face.

Everything about Roman was proper and not a thing out of place.

You shrugged and glanced away, rolling your lips inside your mouth as you stuffed your hands in the pockets of your jacket. "Maybe. I don't know."

Roman gave you a playful scowl. "Maybe?"

You shoved him, your mouth now breaking out in a smile you couldn't contain over his expression. "Maybe a little."

He gave you a dramatic pout that genuinely made you laugh. "Okay fine, yeah. I'm okay."

"That's better." The pout turned into a pleased smirk. "Hope they catch the fucker doing this soon."

"Yeah..." You trailed off, feeling your heart grow sour again as you reached your hand up and push a few strands of hair away.

You felt guilty for having left out the part that you knew who the killers were, but didn't trust Roman enough to share that information with him.

He looked like he was thinking your answer over in his head. "You said you liked movies?"

You tilted your head at him, (E/C) eyes tracing over his pensive face. "Yeah I do, why?"

Roman's own drained eyes flashed with seriousness, but for some reason a contradicting faint smile ghosted over his lips. "As a film director, I have a shit load of them back at my house."

Despite feeling the pit in your stomach grow heavier, the raw excitement in your voice was unmistakable. "Seriously?"

"Yes. You don't have to come if you don't wanna, just thought I'd throw it out there."

It was kind of weird to invite someone you'd only just seen once before over to your house, but whatever.

There was a pause that lasted for some minutes as you took in the sight of the city slowly coming to life— the morning sunlight hitting the tall metal structures of the play park in front of you.

That large space would soon be full of screaming, happy children spending a fulfilled day on the many swings, slides and other things.

There was a small nearby lake too as the cold wind blew gentle rippling waves over the water.

His fingers flexed on the side of the bench while he awaited your response.

"Okay," you agreed after a moment of contemplating, attempting to hide your yawn. "But don't you try anything, I have pepperspray on me."

You were obviously messing around and let out a rather unfeminine snort as Roman mockingly tossed his hands up in the air, smiling at your accusing glare. "I'm terrified!"

-

You were still busy trying to decide which words to pick as your face was frozen in stunned shock, while Roman had thrown himself over one of the four sofas of the living room.