Chapter 4

You'd fallen into one of the deeper sleeps you've ever had because when you woke up again, it was already well and truly dark outside.

You probably could have slept through an earthquake, but you needed the rest. There was only so much your brain could take before it gave out.

Dragging yourself out of the bed, you still felt groggy as you wiped at your eyes to get them to focus, making you way out of the bedroom and up the hallway as you undid your sloppy ponytail and shook out your hair.

*Ring*

The distinct sound of the phone ringing in the living room held your attention. Whatever sleep was left in your eyes was now smacked out as you headed over to it, eyes glued to the device.

'CALLER ID UNKNOWN'

You hesitated as worry began to pool within the pit of your stomach. You kept staring at the phone like it was some sort of alien, but it kept ringing so eventually you picked up. "Hi?"

"(Y/N)?"

A sigh of relief fell past your lips when you heard the recognizable and pitched voice of Gale weathers coming from the other end. "Gale? How did you get this number?"

"That's not important right now, I'll tell you later. Listen, you need to come to Hollywood..."

Doubt began welling up in your heart as you thought back to the phone call from yesterday. "How do I know this is you?"

"What do you mean? Of course it's me."

"Yeah but how do I know? You could be the killer. He called me up yesterday," you turned your head to look at the clock before setting your gaze firmly on the floor.

Gale now sounded just as anxious as you. "He did?"

You nodded, feeling your pulse accelerate over the still awfully fresh memory etched into your mind. "Mhm."

"Ugh. (Y/N), please. It's important. I wouldn't call you if it wasn't. Detecive Kincaid helped finding your number. If the killer has called you, you're not safe there anymore. You're completely alone there."

Your face dropped when you gave the phone a serious look like she could see it. "...I still don't know if this is really you. Can you prove it?"

"... How?"

You lined your lips, leaning back against the wall before starting to bite on your fingernail. How could she prove it? You felt ridiculous to have the need to ask someone to verify themselves.

The tension between you and her much felt like a rubber band being taught at from opposite ends.

You couldn't come up with an answer as you felt your nerves swirl faster in your belly. You were just not willing to take the risk. "Uhm, listen, Gale... I need to go. I'll call back later, ok?"

"(Y/N), wait–"

*Click*

You felt awful. You did.

But after hearing your deceased mother's voice, how were you supposed to trust people, let alone someone you couldn't even see?