Terrible Things

Baby Irina was asleep in a crib. Dumbledore stood next to the crib. Remus sat at the table, listening to the radio.

"Sirius Black has been captured and sent to Azkaban after the death of 13 muggles and a Pureblood Wizard by the name of Peter Pettigrew", the radio said.

"Harley's dead. Sirius is in Azkaban. She needs her parents. I can't raise the child. I'm not right for the job", Remus said.

"Now, Remus, you gave Harley your word. You'd take care of the child",Dumbledore said.

"I'm dangerous. I don't want to put her in danger. I'll make sure Irina is adopted by a nice family and I'll watch over her until she gets her Hogwarts letter. Harley said nothing about raising her daughter, Dumbledore", Remus said.

The baby began to cry. Remus takes the baby out of her crib. He shushed her softly. After the baby had calmed down, she fell asleep in Remus's arms.

"We'll have to convince everyone she's dead until she's ready to join us at Hogwarts. Are you sure you will not raise her?" Dumbledore asked.

Remus hesitates. He looked at the baby. She slept peacefully and she looked comfortable.

"I'm sure", Remus said.

"The child seemed happy. Now that her parents are gone, she seems less happy. Well, if you're sure, I guess I'll-"

"Wait", Remus said, interrupting Dumbledore. "I have grown to love this child as if she were my own. Besides, I'm her Godfather. I should be the one to raise her".

"I'll tell the others that Irina Black died in her mother's womb. For now, you should make her feel comfortable. Irina has had a long night. And her life has changed".

Remus nodded. "And what of the boy? What will happen to him? And how did he survive the killing curse?" Remus asked Dumbledore.

"It remains quite a mystery. But he will stay with his aunt and uncle until he too is ready", Dumbledore said. Dumbledor walked out of the house.

Remus looked down at the sleeping baby.

Irina's point of view

I don't remember anything about my Mom. But I do know that after she died and after my Father was sent to Azkaban, I was no longer a smiling baby.

It was as if I knew something bad had happened.

No one could know I survived as a baby. Not even the Order of the Phoenix. As a child, I knew something was going on, but I never got the idea that I was in danger.

When your mother is a powerful witch who passed her powerful genes to you and betrayed a band of evil wizards, of course you're in danger.

You may know me already. My name is Irina Black. A Halfblood Witch. The daughter of the Pureblood Wizard and heir of House Black, Sirius Black and the Powerful Muggleborn Witch Harley Evans.

This is the story of my life before I met my father, before figuring out who I am. This is the story of my life before Hogwarts.

And you're going to want to sit down for this one.