chapter 20

It was stained with blood! And it smelled terrible.
In horror she first thought that she should just go away from here but something provoked her mind that is it really blood or not? And if it is, then who's blood it could be?
With trembling hands she picked up the portfolio again.
She turned the cover open, and the same woman's picture but it was with her son. She turned the pages and after the last page she found a paper stuck in a pocket of the portfolio.
Curiosity got the best of her and she opened it.

"Gerard darling, I hope you're okay and doing great. How's school? I want you to become a successful man and get independent, so we can both live together.
And don't worry about your father, he has changed alot now. He don't hit me anymore. And I wanted to tell you that don't come home this fall for vacation, your father and I will go for hiking so the house will be empty. And don't get surprised your father proposed this idea, I think he has started to love us. Don't you think so?
Take care of yourself my baby, I will come to see you soon.
Your favourite
Mom."
It read.

Her eyes almost popped out at the sudden discovery.
'so it was from her mother' she told herself.
She couldn't understand the relationship between the family and got confused that whether they were happy or had major issues.
As she read it, she told the letter again and placed it in the same pocket and closed the portfolio.
To find something else related, she started checking the book racks. She looked closely at every book but didn't found anything important.
Finally, only show case was left which had drawers at the bottom. She leaned down and opened it with great difficulty as it was stuck with dust.
To her surprise, there was a diary which was neatly covered in a piece of cloth. She picked it up and slide the cloth aside, and opened it. On the front page, on top the date was clearly written.
"26 July, Tuesday"

It seemed like a personal daily diary. She stood up carrying the diary in her hand and got out from the hall, almost running. She closed the doors like before. And passed the lawn and ran into the house, straight into her room.
She sat on the bed and opened it again and started reading it......

She closed it shut, her breath erratic due to the fear of discovering his secret. She was regretting it that she shouldn't had open his diary and shouldn't had read because it was his past.
But what she already read blew her senses. She couldn't digest the fact that Gerard KILLED his own father!
But the reason behind it was too natural and maybe anyone in his place would have done the same.
The words keep rewinding in her little brain.

"my all friends went home to celebrate Christmas with their families so I had no one to stay with. So I made up my mind that it's better to stay in empty home rather than living in this dead place. I packed my bags and sat in the last bus which I found at 08:00 pm and headed home.

The house door was already open to my amazement and even lights were also turned on. I thought my parents are already home or didn't even go on hiking. Without a second thought I entered and what I saw blew my senses......

My mother all bathed in blood was lying on the floor and exhaling out her last breaths. While pleading him to stop hitting her in broken voice. And my father standing in front of her, holding a metal rod in his right hand, in air, raising to hit her more like a monster!
My father's back was facing me so he didn't even realized my presence. I was completely out of my mind and nothing came in my mind except chopping this man into little pieces and feed it to a dog until his each body cell rots in it's stomach.
I had to save my mother. I immediately ran to the lawn and started finding something, with which I can kill him. Nothing caught my eye except an axe which was resting with the pomegranate tree, only tree I had in my lawn, planted by my mother when I was little.
I almost ran to pick it up and headed straight inside.
I ran with the heaviest steps in my life and raised the axe above my head and hit him straight in the head, while I growled.
I stick out the axe again from his head, while he fall on the floor and hit him several times, I don't even remember until his head was turned into minced meat.
But my only regret which I have from that night is, I couldn't save my mother.....
She was dead by the time I reached....."

Tears filled her eyes and she started crying, that she always thought that she is only one which had such miserable life. She was raised without a mother, and even had to raise her own little brother. But she never thanked god that she was still better than people like Gerard who led the most dejected lives.

She didn't realize when her tear soaked eyes drived her into sleep and she slept timeless until birds chirping sounds could be heard.

She woke up rubbing her eyes. As she sat up, memories from yesterday flooded her mind and she sat up straight.
As she saw the diary in her lap, she got up from the bed along with and opened her cupboard. She looked for a nice hiding place and then hid it under the old rugs, in the bottom of cupboard.
After changing she stepped downstairs to find the maid making breakfast in the kitchen.

"Good morning mam" maid greeted as she saw her.

"Good morning" she replied.

"Should I place the dinner?" She asked.

"Yeah sure but I want to talk about something to you" she asked cautiously.

"Ill be happy to serve you"

"I wanted to ask that how can I go to Washington?"

"Better option is to take a plane ticket as it will take 4 hours" she guided.

"Thank You but for that I'll have to contact Steven's secretary?"

"Yeah she can arrange you all that"

"Then please call her and ask her to make all arrangements as I want to go to my parents" she ordered.

"I'll do that right away" she replied and went away to make a call.