chapter 19

It was 11:00 in morning when the driver stopped the car in front of the luxurious house which was now left for her. She stepped out of the car and entered. It was very peaceful inside, nothing changed in overnight. As she reached lounge, some unexpected guest was waiting for her.
She stepped forward and stopped in front of sofa, to recognize the woman. But she was nowhere found in her memory. Realizing her presence the woman got of and stood in front of her, giving her full view of her face but still she had no clue that who she is or what she was doing here?
Watching her questioned face, she spoke first.
"Hello I'm Mr.Gerard's assistant! And I'm here to discuss something important with you, if you can spare me some time"

"Yeah sure" she realized that she is the one who used to assist him 24 hours when didn't even come back home, she must be very close to him.
They both sat on the sofa.

"As you know Mr.Gerard has disappeared suddenly without any notice or particular reason which I know about, but before he went he made some arrangements for you which I would like to share" she said while giving her a file.

"What's this?" She asked while looking at it.

"It contains Mr.Gerard's credit cards which he left for you. He changed the CEO but company still belongs to him and all the amount is transferred into his bank account and asked me to give you his credit cards so you can spend it as you want" she explained.
Alaya became stiff, she had nothing more to say. She didn't understand this man. One time he kidnapped her, abused her, almost tried to kill her and then after expressing his love to him he disappeared leaving all his money behind for her.

"And one more thing, Mr.Gerard told me to get you admission in the best university so you can continue your art studies. I have completed all the procedures and now you've got admitted into it. You can look further into this file for further details. You can join from this winter fall" she continued while watching Alaya's blank face.

"If you don't have any further questions I would like to depart Miss Alaya. I'm grateful for your time" she replied while suddenly getting up.
Alaya immediately stood with her.

"Do you know where Gerard went?" She asked with a worried face.

"I absolutely have no idea, and I'm equally surprised as you. He asked to make all the arrangements a week before but he didn't inform me any particular reason for it" she said honestly.

"Well thank you, would you like to have lunch with me?" She asked gratefully.

"No thank you so much for your offer but I have to look into the company's matters, I would try to spare a quality time with you later" she said while picking up her phone and little purse and headed out.
Alaya was left with the file alone. She didn't know what to do now, in this big house, with his money all alone.
She made herself breakfast, and ate in silence. Then after washing dishes, she took some pills and headed to bed. She put her phone on silent and slept.

She forget the count of hours and didn't realize how much she slept but when she woke up it was dark everywhere. She turned on the lights beside her bedside table. And then checked her phone to realize that it was 03:00 am in the morning. She immediately sat up but every nerve of her body was aching. And she was feeling nauseated.
She got up and took a bath. Then she tied her hair into a bun and stepped downstairs, only moonlight was lighting the house and it almost looked haunting sight to her. Building up her courage she went into the kitchen and turned on the lights. As she opened the refrigerator she found already cooked food which was made by the maid. She microwaved it and sat down on the chair and placed the food on table.
She was in no mood of eating but her stomach was growling, so for the sake of her stomach she ate it with tasteless mouth. All the while she decided and made up her mind that tomorrow she will go to Washington to meet her parents. And will start her university to continue her career.
She was very depressed and sad, so to divert her mind she started walking in the lawn.
As she walked, she reached the back side of the house which she never saw before. To her wonder she never even knew that the back side of house also even existed and was built such well. Without a second thought she entered, the lock was broken as it was very rusted. Cobwebs and dust welcomed her at door and she had to open the torch of her phone to look inside. It was a large hall filled with book racks and show cases, better to say seemed like a library.
She stepped forward and with the help of her phone's torch she saw some toys in the first show case which was near to the door. There were bears, and cars and trucks, mainly boy's toys.
A thought clouded her mind and she was forced to think if they could be Gerard's childhood toys. That's why they are kept here in storeroom. Then she moved forward and looked at the racks of books beside the showcase. She picked the middle book, which didn't seemed like a book and was large in size. She opened it and found family photographs.
In the photograph there was a family of three, with a woman and a man along with a cute child of about age 5. They looked like a perfect family, smiling and gleaming eyes. She turned the page and found more photographs of the same family. The boys somewhat had resemblance with Gerard and she convinced herself that it must be his family which he never mentioned and she never even heard of it.
She turned the pages and in end there was only one photograph but it was not a family photograph, but it only had the woman in it which she saw in previous photographs.
She picked up some more folders and only found pictures which only had the woman in it, there were no more family pictures. And she was surprised that it was the only portfolio which had family photographs. She checked more portfolios and found a completely different portfolio which looked a bit new than the others but as she opened, it slipped from her hands from the sight she saw.......

Author's note
I have started another novel "coerced to be his". Do check it out, it's based on somewhat true events and mixed up with my imagination. I hope you'll like it because it's entirely different.