Chapter 10: The Search

Lucius was amused to see the sparks in Gen's eyes, the level of confidence and defiance. No one in his kingdom ever dared to speak in a higher tone in front of him. Although he wasn't too offended, he knew that he couldn't just stand there and do nothing.

"Vee, initially I was going to let you off the hook for damaging my property, but since you insulted me in front of my pack, and broke not one, but two rules, there will be consequences." He warned.

These words should've been enough to cause Gen to back down and apologize to Lucius, but she decided to do the opposite.

"I know I shouldn't have spoken in that tone, but you've been so mighty and cocky this entire time I've been here. You should realize that mistakes happen and that I didn't break it on purpose. On top of that, this is just a vase, I'll get you a new one and compensate you for it." Gen spoke confidently while Bella kept pulling her arm.

"Your Majesty, I apologize to you on her behalf. She didn't mean to speak to you in a higher tone, and she was just in a bad mood. Please forgive her." Bella spoke facing Lucius and then moved to Genevieve. "Nothing good will come out of this, please let this matter go. You'll land yourself in trouble."

But it was too late to take anything back.

"Vee, only for you, I am going to be a considerate man. If you compensate me with the exact same vase, I will let this matter go." There was a pause. "Otherwise, you shall be punished."

As soon as Lucius completed the sentence, the girls gulped, and the rest of the people gasped. All of his punishments were extremely severe. How could he say that nonchalantly?

"Your Majesty. You have a big and kind heart, plea-" Bella tried to negotiate but Gen intervened.

"Fine, I accept." She spoke fiercely and Lucius' eyes lit in response. He was so fascinated to finally meet someone who would challenge him. He hadn't expected that he would feel this rush of adrenaline and feel so rejuvenated.

"You have 24 hours Vee. Your time starts now." Lucius smirked and the girls went their way.

"Gen, are you crazy? I really think you're out of your mind. Why would you create such a scene? You saw what happened in the dungeon, right? He isn't giving any empty threats. He was dead serious. You can't act so rashly, what will we do if we don't find that stupid vase?" Bella rambled on frantically. She was far more stressed than Gen.

"Relax. It is just a vase, it's not that they only create one of each kind. And there would be someone who may be able to make it for us. I remember the design I'm going to draw a picture of it to use it as a reference so we can ask around. Besides, we have 24 hours. That's plenty of time." Gen muttered, but it didn't help reduce Bella's anxiety.

Gen drew a picture so perfect that it looked almost realistic. They set out to visit various stores and shops where it could be available. And there were many shops that sold vases, so Gen was hopeful. But even when they had a thousand pieces, nothing was similar to the drawing.

"Miss, this is an ancient vase and there is only one of this kind in the entire world. The fine details and the finishing are only something that the greatest craftsmen would be able to do." One man revealed.

"Do you happen to know someone who would be able to make this for me? It is a little urgent." Gen pleaded. She was desperate. She couldn't lose to Lucius, it would hurt her ego.

"In fact, I do know someone. But he is very old, so I am not sure whether he would be able to help." He disclosed, but Gen was willing to take a chance.

When the man said old, Gen didn't expect him to be so old. He was almost a hundred years old. As soon as he saw the picture of this vase, his eyes shimmered.

"I see you fell in love with this beauty as well. This was created by my ancestors and then this art was passed down through the generations. I had it for the longest time, and then handed it over to my disciple." The old man revealed.

"Would you be able to replicate this for me? I will be very grateful if you could do me this favor." Gen begged.

"I can." He spoke and Gen was overjoyed. "But it would take me a week." And Gen's hopes were crushed.

"It is a little urgent. Can you please complete it in a day?" She besought.

"I'm sorry young lady. Due to my old age, it will take me some extra time. Other than me, there was only one person who would be able to create this design. My disciple." He disclosed. "But unfortunately, he quit many years ago and I haven't been in contact with him since."

"I can hunt him down if you give me his details and convince him to make this for me." Gen was still hopeful; she wasn't going to give up.

"He is a stubborn young man; I tried a lot, but he never came back. I'm sorry." He spoke and Gen left his place defeatedly.

18 hours had passed and there were only 6 hours to go. Gen had started to worry, but she wasn't going to give up. She reached the packhouse with her head low and she was greeted by a smirking Lucius. She wished to remove that smirk off his face but decided to ignore him.

"So did you find that vase Vee?" Lucius mocked on purpose. He could see that Gen was upset and empty handed so there was no way that she would've found it.

"Soon. There are still 6 hours left." She spoke confidently and Lucius was impressed by her resilience and fighting spirit.

"Would you like something to eat?" Lucius asked in a concerned tone, but Gen wasn't having it.

"No thank you. I've lost my appetite." She scowled, even though her stomach rumbled with hunger.

She visited various new places and contacted numerous sellers, but she got no lead. She felt so frustrated and regretted her decision that she took impulsively. She tried to muster up her courage and admit defeat in front of Lucius, but she hated that mocking smile and his smug attitude. When only 2 hours were left, Gen hesitantly made her way to his room. She was panicking internally but tried to stay calm. Before she could knock on his door, she felt one hand on her eyes and the other covering her mouth. Her anxiety skyrocketed and she began to shake violently. She couldn't scream for help and the person holding her was far stronger so she couldn't even resist or fight back.

"Ssh. Stay calm Vee. I'm taking you to a special place let's go." She recognized the voice as Lucius'.

Special place? Could it be? Was she really going to get punished?!