Chapter 2: Mate

The kings were sleeping soundly when Selene entered their dreams. She appeared in the form of moonlight. They were taken aback as they weren't expecting to see Selene, and it was the first time they were experiencing such a situation. All of a sudden, the image of a triple moon triquetra appeared in front of them. They knew about the symbol- it represented the threefold nature of the Goddess. As a maiden, mother, and crone. The triquetra also symbolized the three faces of the Goddess, balance of the mind, body, and spirit. The circle signified the ever- turning cycle of life. It represented the power of three and celebrated the divine feminine.

Slowly, the image of the symbol diminished, and a baby appeared in front of the kings. The baby had the symbol as a birth mark right below its navel. Its face wasn't clear but some of the features were. The baby was awake, but it wasn't crying. It shone bright, with fair milky skin, mesmerizing eyes, and a captivating smile. The kings couldn't take their eyes off it. There was something about it that attracted them. They were curious and wanted to know more. They wanted to hold the baby, hear its voice, smell its scent, and feel its breath. They knew the baby was special.

She was their queen, their mate.

When the image of their mate vanished into thin air, each king howled threateningly. Where did she go? Up till now, they were unaware about each other since they were so lost in the sight of their mate. But now they were delirious. What was happening? They were all in protective mode and ready to attack each other when Selene interrupted.

"Kings, stand at ease." It was an order, and so the kings complied.

"What are they doing here?" Markus side-eyed the other kings in distaste as he asked.

"I don't care about them, where is my mate? She was right here some time ago and now she vanished!" Lucius trembled in anger, as if he would lose control any moment.

"I saw my mate too! The baby. She had a birth mark on her body. It was called-"

"The triple moon triquetra!" Damien was cut off by Markus who finished his sentence hurriedly. As soon as he uttered those words, the wolves paused and thought to themselves.

They were all extremely confused about what was happening. But everything pointed towards just one thing.

"We all saw the same baby, didn't we?" Tristan questioned Selene directly, and she nodded in response. Before the kings could digest this information, she dropped the bomb.

"You have been blessed with a mate. The baby you saw, was an old image of her. She has grown up beautifully under my protection and now it's finally time for you to meet her." Selene spoke and the kings were baffled.

That is when realization dawned upon them. But it couldn't be! They were all sure that the baby was their mate, but it was unheard of multiple werewolves having the same mate.

"I don't understand, who are you referring to?" Markus had the same thoughts as the rest of the kings, but he wanted his doubts to be shot down. There was no way that he would share his mate.

"All four of you." Selene answered, calm and composed, whereas the kings were in disarray.

"Like hell! She is mine and only mine! I will burn anyone who would dare to steal her away from me!" Lucius roared and Tristan didn't hold himself back either.

"We'll see about that! Bring your army, I'm ready to fight!" Tristan had faith in his army. He knew that he had trained them so well that they were the most organized and powerful among the kingdoms.

Damien wasn't like the rest. He did have a spark of possessiveness in him, but nothing too extreme like the rest. He wasn't up for fighting either as he knew that his army wasn't as strong and wouldn't be able to win.

"Be warned: this is your first and last chance to have a mate. If there is a war, you will never be able to see her ever again." Selene announced and that made the kings think. They had experienced such powerful emotions during the few seconds that they saw their mate that they were desperate to feel those emotions all over again. It was like a drug, and it was intriguing for them to see such an effect. Since they didn't have any other choice, they began to negotiate with Selene.

"How about we let our mate choose whom she wants to be with?" Markus suggested. He knew that he could win over her easily with his looks and personality.

"I would like to invite her to my kingdom and spend some time with me alone," Lucius interjected as he was desperate for his mate. He craved for her in the most intense way possible.

"I would like to meet her first though. And spend the most time with her." Tristan stated. He was smart and calculative. He knew that meeting her first and spending the most time would have the maximum impact on her, and then he wouldn't have to get rid of all the other kings.

"That wouldn't be fair! That way he'll steal her away from us. I want to meet her first!" Damien intervened, sensing Tristan's strategy.

Selene had the perfect plan in mind. "The first king to meet his mate will get to spend 3 days with her. The second king will get 6 days. The third king will get 9 days. And the last king to meet her will get 12 days. At the end of the year, she gets to choose whom she wants to be with. It can be one of you, two of you, three of you, all four of you, or none. It would be up to her."

The kings were in a dilemma. Meeting her first sounded appealing, but the time was very less. And meeting her last wouldn't be impactful but there would be a lot of time to try to win her over. After contemplating for a while, it was decided that Markus would be first, Damien would be second, Lucius would be third and Tristan would be last to meet their mate.

They immediately began to plan in their minds about what they will do and how they will impress their mate. But one thing they were still curious about.

"How will we recognize her? What is her name?" They all asked together.

"You will find out soon. She will start her journey tomorrow and reach Markus' kingdom the day after. Remember that she is your only mate, your only chance. Treat her well because if you don't, she has the option to leave whenever she wants. She's fierce, but kind. You need her far more than she needs you. Use your time wisely and make the most of it."

The kings took Selene's words seriously, although they didn't like the ambiguity of not knowing her name. But they were sure that her name would be perfect, just like her.

"And most importantly,

She's a human."