Shyarly x reader | Fortune

Requested by Yaomomori !

You could just about see the book from over your big brother's shoulder, standing on the tip of your toes. Even if your reading wasn't quite adequate due to your age and your mind took a little bit longer to process information, you got the gist.

And boy was what you read fascinating.

"Ooh~!"

Excitedly, you bounced up and down on the balls of your feet as your eyes sparkled with glee. Your sudden movement caused your brother to become slightly irritated, his long, blonde hair whipping you in the face as he stood up from the chair.

"What do you want?"

His nonchalant expression and bored tone which was laced with a tinge of agitation did nothing to dull your smile. Your big eyes gazed up to him as he clutched the book closer to his chest in protection, as if he didn't want you running away with the article.

But that wasn't what you were focused on.

"Who is that lady?"

With curiosity you tilted your head, and with confusion he tilted his - taking a quick glance down at the front cover.

"Who is who?"

Hawkins opened the book to the page he had previously been reading and flinched when you ran up beside him, pointing a small finger

"That lady, with the fish tail!"

"Fish tail?"

His brows knitted further as his eyes met with the part you talked about. You still gazed up at him with innocence, awaiting what you thought was his great knowledge.

Eyes scanning over the picture, he stopped. He recognised why you would be interested, because said lady was a mermaid. She was a famous woman with a spectacular talent, one which he secretly admired greatly.

He slammed the book shut and pulled away from you, walking over to one of the man shelves in your house's library to put it away.

"That woman is a mermaid known as Madam Shyarly."

"Mermaid?"

As quickly as your pint-sized legs could take you, you rushed out of the room after him. You almost longed to hear his explanation, to know what this was all about. But even when you continued to ask him questions, you couldn't see the amounting irritation as he then closed his bedroom door behind him.

"You read that book if you want answers. I can't imagine you're that interested."

Though a calm kid, you were beginning to feel a little frustrated yourself. You crossed your arms over and huffed, stomping back down the hall.

And Hawkins listened, rolling his eyes as he physically sensed your tantrum as it got further from him.

You see, your brother had liked tarot cards and all things spiritual from a very young age. He would collect all kinds of books and sneak them around the house; keeping them away from your superstitious parents' eyes. However, with that, he also believed you didn't want anything to do with the subject either.

But actually, you did.

Spending all of that night and some of the day, you ready on the mermaid who was known for her prophecies. Her talent was unmatched and her beauty was eminent.