AU | Hawkins x reader | A Change of Heart

(Modern AU) Requested by 12554cards !

There were many people, in your school years.

There were ones who were loud, proud and undefeated; like Eustass Kid or even Jewelry Bonney. There were ones who were calm, collected and smart; like Diez Drake and Trafalgar Law. There were even ones who were kind beyond words could describe, like Sabo or like Koala, ones who were downright rowdy and excitable like Monkey D. Luffy.

Although you worked among them, not one quite caught your eye. Being the quiet one, the one which had few friends and not much of a social life outside of lessons, you had no reason to become close to them. You would think only of your work and what you would cook for dinner that night - not anything else.

But there was this one day; one where you had a glimpse into the world of admiration which you never knew stretched before you.

And boy, did it make your life just that much more complicated.

This anxious cloud trapped you into a box as your face went as red as a beetroot. You leaned down, a slight tremble to your body, as you picked up what had fallen from your grasp. Like many other days, you served your encounter with your classmate by the name of Eustass Kid.

Although he didn't do anything specifically, it took only one harsh knock into your back from the brute for all of your books to drop right out of your arms. He didn't laugh rather scowled and glared daggers into your body before passing, but that still set you off and made you wish a hole could swallow you up.

Everyone saw, everyone stopped and watched as you picked up your stuff and made a swift exit towards the nearest door.

'I'm such an idiot...'

Your feet thundered along the main path towards the front gate as you stewed in your self-loathing, cursing yourself.

'I wish I wasn't such a feather.'

A few people glanced up as you rushed past and made it to the gate. You were caught up in your thoughts as you made a sharp turn out onto the pavement.

'God, I just-'

"(L/n)."

In a matter of seconds, your whole body lurched to a stop. The sudden shock of having your name called made your heart race, your eyes go wide. Out of fear, your head slowly raised. And with it, you were increasingly confused.

First came a hand as it outstretched, a book in its grasp. Immediately you recognised the cover, the book being one of your own. It definitely was because it was slightly scuffed across the title, only showing the reader a portion of what was once 'GCSE Biology (Combined)'.

"Huh...?"

Your eyes trailed up further, before they stopped. You were practically craning your neck for the figure was so tall. At first you were met with a nonchalant frown, tattooed eyebrows and long, blonde hair.

It took you all of a second to realise who it was, not many people had tattoos in secondary school. Your eyes connected awkwardly with a pair of crimson ones, a bead of sweat rolling down your temple.

"A-ah,"

Stepping back due to your realisation of how close you were standing, you brushed down your uniform. It wasn't like you were dirty, it was just a jerk reaction.

'Basil Hawkins...'

"You going to take this or not?"

Your averted eyes darted back to your classmate, cheeks darkening out of sheer embarrassment. With a forced and slightly vigorous nod, you half-snatched the book from his grasp.