Chapter Thirty Four

Start from the beginning

Greater in number means a greater chance of winning.

Raia is up against an old and powerful being, one who is undoubtedly stronger and more experienced than she is. So she isn't stupid enough to underestimate the demon and think she can defeat it on her own.

Only fools underestimate their opponents, and it is their arrogance that will lead to their demise.

She charges forward and aims for the demon's solar plexus. Tallulah turns her waist slightly to avoid the attack. But Raia already expects that. She immediately twists her body and delivers a sidekick, catching the demon off guard.

Tallulah yelps as she slams into the pew. When Raia launches herself toward her, she leaps to her feet and performs a backflip, landing on top of another pew out of Raia's reach.

"And now your weapon looks nothing special. Are you underestimating me, human?" Tallulah says, glaring at her. "How about this, then?" She smirks and thrusts her arm out.

Raia lets out a surprised gasp as she feels a small, sharp pain in her face. At the same time, a red line appears across her cheek.

Tallulah uses her distraction to her advantage. She charges forward, slamming her foot into the disciple's stomach.

Raia collides with the altar, making a crashing sound. With a grunt, she pushes herself off the floor and grips her sword tightly, her fiery eyes glaring at the demon. A thin line of blood trickles down her face.

"You're a different one," Tallulah observes as she twirls her hair with the wooden sword. "For someone chosen by the angels, you lack emotions. You don't even care about your friends. The first thing you did when you woke up was bark at me."

Raia maintains a straight face, her eyes fixed on the demon. Tallulah shrugs as she observes she isn't responding.

"You're a twisted one," Tallulah continues. She examines Raia from head to toe, then her eyes sparkle as if something amusing has occurred to her. "So you're a disciple of the Apostle named Simon. Why did I only realize it now? Is that why Loki is interested in you?"

Ignoring the demon's babble, Raia adjusts her grip on her sword and charges at her. But, just as she's about to close the distance between them, she freezes midlunge. Her heart skips a beat.

What?

When Raia tries to move her sword-wielding hand, she feels a sharp pain on her wrist as if a rope is wrapped around it. No, it's too thin and sharp to be a rope; it's more like a string.

She glance at her raised hand, then at her left hand, and finally at her feet, but she sees nothing. The strings that bind her appear to be invisible. She looks at Talullah. So, besides the wooden sword, the Blood Demon has another weapon?

Of course, the wooden sword isn't special enough to be called a Blood Demon's Curse.

A thin red line appears around Raia's wrists and ankles, followed by a trickle of blood. She clenches her teeth in pain.

Tallulah laughs as she spins and twirls with her arms spread wide. She comes to a halt after a minute and hugs the wooden sword to her chest, closing her eyes.

"Oh, my dear Lamia. I'm so close to achieving our dreams," Tallulah says, caressing her weapon. "We'll save these poor lambs from all the lies and show them the beauty of darkness; I know they can be saved."

Lamia? Raia muses as she observes the demon. She is intrigued by the way the demon embraces and touches her weapon.

Lamia . . . The wooden sword . . . Raia ponders the minor details, gradually connecting the dots.