Chapter 15

...in which Hermione finally makes a decision.

Breathe. Just breathe, Hermione. The panicked witch told herself, while her back leant upon the cold stone wall just outside the entrance to the library. Normally she wouldn't be so nervous about entering the library; after all, it was her favourite place in all of Hogwarts. Currently it was the place she wanted to run away from.

Because, Draco Malfoy was in there.

She took a few more deep breaths to calm herself, before she opened the large Library doors and stepped inside. She began to walk through the shelves, searching for a flash of platinum hair. She found it, in Blaise's and her usual study area.

He was calmly reading a book, looking much less cocky than he usually did. Hermione stood there for a moment, wondering if she was about to do the right thing. One glance at the shell necklace in her hand, and a nervous grimace later, she convinced herself she was. As she stepped forward from amongst the book shelves, she couldn't help but scowl at the thought of the events that day that had brought her to this point.

Earlier that day...

Hermione awoke early that Monday morning, gathering her things and getting ready for her lessons. The students had arrived back at Hogwarts the previous night, and lessons were resuming that day. To be honest, she hadn't missed sleeping in her dorm, nor waking up to the sound of Lavender Browns snores. It was one thing Hermione could do without.

She made her way down to the Gryffindor common room and was greeted by the smiling faces of Neville and Ginny who were gathered around the fire in the comfy chairs. It was an odd sight, considering she had never seen them together when she wasn't around.

Hermione eyed the two Gryffindors suspiciously before making her way over to them.

"Why are you up so early?" She questioned with a raised eyebrow, crossing her arms in front of her. Ginny merely grinned back.

"Don't be so suspicious, Hermione," she laughed, "Neville's helping me with my Herbology homework. I may have...forgotten to do it over the holidays."

Hermione looked between the two and saw that, in fact, they were looking from textbooks and jotting down notes. "Oh," she said weakly, her arms dropping to her sides. She really needed to get her head together, ever since the horrible incident at Christmas with those creepy carollers, she had been suspicious of everything and everyone.

"Why are you so suspicious, anyway?" Ginny asked, after eyeing her for a moment. "I saw you get Dean and Seamus last night because you thought they were smuggling in dung bombs."

Hermione laughed nervously, feeling foolish at the memory of rounding up Dean and Seamus, when they hadn't been doing anything wrong. She could have sworn they were though; they had such mischievous looks on their faces...

"I just had an interesting holiday that's all...it's left me a little paranoid."

Both Ginny and Neville looked up from their work and eyed her curiously. "Dare I ask?" The red-head questioned.

"It's probably best if you don't..." Hermione said with an apologetic smile.

Ginny nodded slowly, before her eyes trailed down Hermione's neck and brightened considerably.

"Who gave you such an extravagant gift?" She asked with a mischievous twinkle in her eye that instantly had Hermione on edge. She lifted her hand and found the shell pendant, grasping it in her palm.

"Nobody." She said quickly. Too quickly. Ginny cocked her head to the side and gave her a disbelieving look.

"If it was nobody, you wouldn't be getting so touchy," The younger girl said with a devious smirk that could have rivalled Draco Malfoy. That thought only turned Hermione's cheeks a violent scarlet colour, hence making her look more guilty than ever.