#8

~One Week Later~
~Aki P.O.V~

"I can walk fine, Kyojuro," I say to Rengoku as we make our way down the path to our home, "you don't need to carry me." We're going home for a few days; tomorrow marks the sixth year of Miss Ruka's passing, I was only thirteen, and Rengoku was fourteen. "Are you sure?" He asks, "I don't think one week is enough rest."

"I'm fine, really," I say, "I think I could even run if I wanted to." I didn't try sprinting though; I needed to conserve my energy for the night or whenever we got a new mission. My bird then lands on my head, speak of the devil; they only do this when a message comes. "A demon!" My bird chirps as they bounce, "a demon in your hometown has been reported!"

Rengoku and I quickly look at each other before we take off sprinting home; even though we know the demon won't show up in the day, the sun would set by the time we arrive. Although we flashed through the trees, our shoes barely touching the ground at times, I know this wasn't my top speed. I guess Rengoku was right; I haven't fully healed.

To hell with my condition, I'll just force myself to be faster than I was before! I grip Rengoku's hand with all my strength, "hold on!" I yell as I peek back, "don't let go!" I dig both of my feet deep into the ground and focus all my breath and energy on their soles; I feel the energy explode within me as I open both my eyes.

One moment we're in the forest running as fast as we can; the next instant, we're back home. It was a big flash of light, but its downside was I felt light-headed. Maybe I overdid it; my worry caused me to recklessly overuse my speed with my body not fully recuperated. I feel myself fall forward, replacing the hard ground; I land in Rengoku's big arms.

"That was amazing, Aki!" He says with his permanent smile plastered on his face, "you surpassed your speed even while your body is not healed! We moved as quickly as light! You're so amazing and cool, Aki!" I smile at him while giving a small chuckle; Rengoku is way more impressed and excited about what I just did than I am; that's so like him.

~3rd P.O.V~

After gaining her footing again, Aki and Rengoku walked inside their old hometown; it was the same as the day they left. "Can you believe it's only been five years since we departed?" Rengoku says as he is beside Aki, "not much has changed." Aki looks at the crowded stalls next to her, "I suppose you're right," she says, "if I'm honest, I don't remember much of this place anymore. Maybe I was trying to erase parts of my memory without me knowing?"

This town had more bad memories than good ones for Aki, specifically the early years of her life. Rengoku puts his arm around Aki and pulls her closer to him, "I understand," he says with a soft, kind smile, "I'm sure we'll make happier memories that'll outshine the bad ones." Aki stared up at Rengoku with wide eyes, a soft blush on her cheeks; he used "we'll."

Rengoku hadn't noticed what he said was the thing that made Aki blush; he only ever slightly felt his cheeks warm up once he and Aki looked at each other. "Rengoku? Aki? Is that really you?" As she was buying some fruit, a woman in her forties said, "you two have grown so much!" Aki and Rengoku recognized the woman right away; she was the chief of their hometown.

"Miss Amane!" Rengoku said with a cheer in his voice, "you look young as ever!" Amane laughed a bit, "that's very kind of you, Rengoku. You certainly got taller; you might even reach your father." Miss Amane looks at Aki, she gives her a tender smile, "I can't believe it," she says, "are you really Aki?" Aki nods and bows her head at her, "it is, Miss Amane. I'm glad to see you are in good health."

Miss Amane gently pats Aki's head; her touch was so soft Aki didn't notice it right away. "You've grown too," miss Amane says, "and not just by height. It fills my heart with joy to see you finally speak; I'm so proud of you." Aki's eyes stayed glued to Miss Amane as they watered; Miss Amane would buy all the wood from Aki when she was younger. She would always give Aki some extra coins to buy herself some food; Miss Amane wasn't wholly aware of Aki's home and mother's condition; if she had known sooner, she would have adopted Aki.