"I'm here," Mal told her as Alina's eyes slowly opened. "Don't you dare say, 'meet me in the meadow'."

Alina tried to smile but the moment was ruined with the volcra. It struck the group as Neave's eyes widened, but then there was a blinding light as it shot upwards into the Fold. The volcra screeched with those that survived fleeing from the brightness.

Once again, a tunnel of light was created with the promise of survival as the skiff finally passed through the Fold.

Neave's face smoothed in relief as the light hit her face, to which she opened her eyes with her irises landing on the three crows.

A campfire had been set up with the survivors surrounding it, becoming allies instead of being divided. Kaz had gone looking for supplies while Neave stood alone, staring at the Fold with her hands wrapped around her stomach in comfort. One hand cupped her ribs, where her teeth ground together to hide her pain.

The Darkling — her father — had fallen to the monsters he had created. Neave believed he got the end he deserved, but she couldn't quite shake her grief. In another world, perhaps Aleksander Kirigan had not been so corrupted, where loving Annette and Lidia had simply been enough.

But the downfall of her father was not the only thing that plagued Neave's mind. Annette and Marian had both warned Neave of the dangers of her father and that it was best that she did not get involved. If Neave got involved and chose to train in her power, then she could stumble down the same path as her father, leading to a longer life than she deserved.

Neave did not want her power, but she couldn't help but stare at the Fold and blame herself. It might not have been her creation, but it came still at the fault of her family. How could Neave walk away?

"Neave," said Kaz, approaching her. "I have clothes for you to change."

She pressed her lips together, staring down at the black dress, along with the necklace. This wasn't who she was — Neave was no powerful, immortal figure like her father had been. Her place was in Ketterdam, where she was known simply as a barmaid.

"You know," Neave said, not looking at Kaz. "You told me a while ago that in this world, we save ourselves. I... I was so lonely that I thought for a second that perhaps my place was by my father's side." Then her eyes met Kaz's, unable to read him like usual. "I could have saved myself, prevented this from happening."

"There wasn't anything you could have done," Kaz told her.

"I played at being his daughter to save myself and the last of my family," Neave admitted. "That was a selfish choice compared to the amount who were slaughtered today."

"And what would you have done, Neave?" Kaz questioned, frowning at her. "You're skilled, but you're untrained. You wouldn't have stood a chance."

"I know," Neave whispered, which left her unable to contain the growing desire inside her to learn her power so she would not be so vulnerable again. "And now here I stand, grieving for that monster."

"He was still your father, Neave," said Kaz. "You're allowed to grieve."

There were no words as Neave's eyes were stuck on Kaz, hating that she still struggled to understand him. Despite everything, Neave still didn't know if Kaz wanted her around for the right reasons. But... she could trust him and that was everything she needed.

"I thought you left me," Neave admitted. "Yet, you still came back for me. Why, Kaz?"

"You're a valuable asset," he answered.