Chapter 28 [✔]

You'd think that with the new death sentence I had been given that I'd want to spend as much time with Hermione as I could.

Right?

No.

I couldn't do that.

Now with this mark hidden beneath my robes, I would be watched more than ever.

Draco was under even more pressure as he had no actual idea to fix something such as a vanishing cabinet he was my time limit and I didn't know how long that would take and I couldn't take a risk so large as to hold hands or kiss Hermione.

My thoughts race as the steam arises off of the platform arriving back at school on September first.

With my prefect badge attached lazily to the front of my robes I walk to the front of the first years and guide them towards the boats where Hagrid was waiting a lantern hanging from his hand.

Draco walks to me with a concerned expression on his face as the both of us knew exactly what the rest of this year entailed.

Voldemort had ordered us to not help each other on our tasks as they were our rite of passage to become a full-fledged death eater, I was almost tempted to go against his orders...if I wasn't afraid of the penalty of death.

When the steam clears and the threstral drawn carriages stand there still waiting for us to board them, the first person that my vision singles out is Hermione her eyes looking at me as they had for the first time in our fourth year.

All of those memories come flashing back, nostalgia choking up my throat as the times that I longed to never end...ended.

For good.

She didn't know this and I couldn't explain it to her the way that I wanted.

But, this is all to keep her the safest that I could.

My finger traces the ring that she had gotten me for my birthday I wore it on a necklace around my throat...a silver ring embedded with a single polished emerald, simple yet elegant.

My hand itches to hold her, but I know that now that it is forbidden I had to act as if it were forbidden, as I had acted the from the first moment that I had met her.

Cruel and uncivil.

It wasn't what I wanted.

But it was what was fated.

The feast was normal, the same warnings as always, the hat singing a song with bewitching lyrics that terrified me.

Once I had risen from my seat the dozen first years flocked towards me like little ducklings that were looking for their mother...yet their mother had abandoned them in the lake, survival of the ones who were independent and doom for those who became too dependent on the one who had given them life.

I lead them as always to the common room just like normal.

They ask me and Draco dozens of questions but I ignore them and let Draco take over this time around, for some reason he succeeds without being rudely ignorant to them.

I fall asleep nightmares raging through my head the whole night, fear for the ticking clock counting down the time that I have left.

                                                                                                                                    ➖➖➖

When I walk down the halls spaced out I can hardly hear the calls of my name from a man with a balding head and robes that look like they were from the nineteenth century.