"Yeah, you should have." I scoff at him.

"Do you trust me Aspen?" He questions softly.

"The answer to that is unsure right now." I respond truthfully.

"Look, you just need to trust that whatever reasons I have for not reaching out are for your own good."

"I cant accept that answer. I'm not okay with being kept in the dark, my brothers do that enough with me." I pause to think for a minute. "Did you even know that Ash? I have 5 freaking older brothers."

"I know more than you think." He responds, leaning against a desk.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I question and Ash lets out a disappointed sigh. "Let me guess, you cant say?"

Ash stays silent.

"Of course." I roll my eyes.

"Everything is frustrating to you right now, I get that-" I cut him off.

"Do you get it though Ash?" I begin my rant, "Imagine getting thrown into the custody of your 5 older brothers you didn't know existed, only for them to constantly lie and keep secrets. Imagine being without the support of your two best friends, one who is in another country and the other falls off the grid. What about Quest? My freaking dog who I haven't seen in months! MONTHS ASH! All because of a stupid punishment, the one thing that has always been there for me isn't here. One of the only things that has kept me alive, I haven't seen in months!" 

I take a breath. "And you, you suddenly show up here and pretend everything is okay? I've connected some dots Ash. I've heard a few slip ups, enough to know that you are associated with Alani, my brother's best friend in some way. Which only leaves me to think you know my brothers. Do you know them?" I question him.

Ash looks taken back. I don't know what is going on but it's time I get some answers. I'll get whatever I can out of Ash and when I get home, I think it's time I do some exploring.

"I didn't come here for an interrogation." Ash says seriously. "I came to check on you because of yesterday. Yarrow and Hudson gave you a warning which I wanted to reiterate."

I cant fight the surprise on my face. How does Ash know them? 

"Are they the ones you're working with?" 

"In a sense. I cant say too much, but about the baking competition Aspen, you cant go." I grow frustrated at Ash's words.

"Why, give me a reason."

"Because I said so."

"And since when are you the boss of me?"

"I'm a year older." 

"Go stick a knife in a socket." 

"You haven't changed much have you." Ash comments with a smirk.

"My oldest brother said I am to still go to the competition." I tell him seriously.

"That's a stupid f*cking decision and you cant listen to him." Ash says darkly.

"Since when do you swear so much?" I realize.

"Sorry, I just need you to listen to me." Ash says, "Your brother thinks he can prevent what's going to happen. But he doesn't know just how bad the situation is."

At Ash's tone I realize this is serious. 

"Why cant you tell him this? I'm only the child in his eyes, he wont listen to me."

"Aspen, I do know your brothers but it's so much more complicated than you could imagine."

"I freaking knew it." I breathe out. "What is this? What are you apart of Ash? Is this some gang stuff? Are you a criminal? Are my brothers criminals? Am I going to die? Oh dear what's going to happen at the competition? Should I be worried?"