Prologue

"Come in," Kaien looked up from his desk in the office of the Hunter's Association. He needn't have worried. The door had opened seconds before he had spoken, revealing a slightly dishevelled-looking Yagari.

"Is something wrong?" Kaien inquired as Yagari tossed his hat on the hook next to the door, falling into the armchair by his desk with a small thud.

"Just came back from a hunt," Yagari replied gruffly. "How's the paperwork?" Kaien eyed the sheaf of papers next to him, untouched so far.

"Good," he replied vaguely, brushing it aside. Leaning forward, he propped his head on his arms, surveying Yagari. "Why did you come here?"

Yagari shrugged. "No reason in particular." Not a very informative answer, Kaien found. Before he could make a comment, Yagari spoke again.

"It's been two years now." That was it. Kaien let out an inward sigh. He knew it was the second anniversary of Saki's disappearance, but hadn't said anything, hoping people would forget and others like Yagari and Shina wouldn't be pained. It was a foolish hope, he knew.

"How's Shina coping?" It was more a question out of courtesy than curiosity. Kaien knew as well as Yagari did that Shina had never fully recovered from the loss of her daughter.

"She still keeps trying to find her," Yagari pulled out a cigarette. "Library archives, reports of a new girl popping up. Saki Minagawa, Saki Kiryuu, anything related." It was more than a vent of frustration, Kaien noted. Yagari also held an affection for the stubborn, slightly hopeless girl that had wandered into his life through Kaien's meddling. Yagari cared about her almost as much as he cared about Zero.

"You're still supporting her though," Kaien tried to reassure Yagari. "With you there, she might get a grip on herself and go back to her Hunter duties."

"Maybe." The two of them lapsed into a thoughtful, if not awkward, silence.

"She seemed pretty happy after the wedding," Kaien ventured, breaking the silence. "She really loves you doesn't she?" Yagari and Shina had gotten married a couple of months ago, after all the commotion of Cross Academy had settled down. A traditional Hunter wedding, Shina and Yagari had made the vows and formed the bonds that every Hunter couple made. Kaien's eyes misted over slightly as he recalled the sight of Yagari looking kind for once.

"I know what you're thinking about," a puff of smoke accompanied Yagari's words as he glared at Kaien with his good eye.

"But it was so sweet," Kaien yowled happily. "You actually looked human for once."

"And when are you going to get married?" Yagari retorted, watching Kaien take off his glasses, drying them. "Don't tell me you're too old."

"Maybe," Kaien replied vaguely, putting his handkerchief back into its position of the desk. "I don't have the time." He put his glasses on once more.

"Hmph," Yagari didn't sound convinced. "How's Zero?" A change of topic that Kaien welcomed.

"Still as scary as always." Kaien thought back to when he had gone to visit Zero. "He shot a hole in the wall. A big one. It almost got me."

"That's my boy."

"Excuse me?!"

"I'll be off," Yagari jumped to his feet, dropping his hat on his head. "Hunter assignments and such."

"Hmph," Kaien pouted as Yagari left the room, the door shutting closed quietly.

The silence grew as the childish look on Kaien's face disappeared, replaced by a more serious one as he reached towards a sheaf of papers. Flicking through them, he finally pulled out a letter hidden inside the pile. It was crisp and white, only recently sent. He held it for a long second, gazing at it. Finally, he turned to the back, where it had been addressed to him.

To: Kaien Cross

From: Kisa

Slowly, with a quick glance to the door, he opened it, breaking the seal and pulling out the neatly folded letter.

Dear Kaien,

It's been a while since I've last written. My disappearance is old news now -

Kaien paused, wanting nothing more than to tell Saki that her disappearance had never been old news. To the people who didn't know her, it would be, but to Yagari, Shina and him, it would always be new, a slap to the face and a reminder that she was gone. Closing his eyes briefly and forcing himself to go on, he looked back at the paper and continued reading.

~~~

Hey guys! Looks like the second book is out! ^.^ Yay! I've also released another...trequel? to my puella magi story. Silly me. Time to multi-task XD Oh well, at least when I get a mind block, I can work on the other story instead ^~^ Was that prologue suspenseful enough? I hope so. Any feedback and comments are GREATLY appreciated. Please vote as well if you like it ^~^

~Evil_Incubator