"You don't have to be sorry," I told him. "I'm glad you asked."

I was. I was having a nice time with him. The wine was really good, and the bolognese was lovely, just like he'd said. The conversation flowed lightly as well, and he talked about his favorite house flip—an old hut he bought with a friend and fixed up as a side project over a few years, and then sold it for an incredible profit—his mom's crush on my dad, and how he ended up buying a house there, rather than moving into the city like everyone else our age.

In turn, I told him about my favorite wedding—Elina and James', before shit hit the fan, of course—and how I enjoyed living in Langston.

"Would it be weird if we kept dating, and our parents started dating?" William asked me as our dessert was placed on our table.

He convinced me I had to try the tiramisu. Supposedly, it was the best thing on the entire menu, and he wouldn't leave until I at least tried. Not that I said no, tiramisu was one of those things I'd always wanted to try but never got to—so now was my chance.

"Maybe," I replied, spooning up a bit of the dessert, before looking at him. "It could be weird at family functions, but I guess we'd work it out." I only said it because I was positive dad wouldn't ever get out of his little bubble for long enough to even look at another woman.

A slight moan escaped my throat as I tasted the dessert, and William grinned my way. "Good, right?" He took a spoonful himself and closed his eyes while he swallowed it. "I would've ordered one, been all romantic and all that, but I knew you'd love it so we were better off with one each."

"You were right," I said with my mouth full, covering my lips with my fingers. "It's wonderful."

Despite myself, I had a good time. The restaurant was great, with roses and red tablecloths, and the occasional candle. There wasn't one on our table, but that was okay. I liked the clean feel of it, with just the one rose in a low vase.

Once our desserts were devoured, he reached over the table to hold my hand. His smile grew, and his dimples showed themselves, making me smile as well. He was great in so many ways, and I tried so hard to engulf myself in his company, his compliments and his charming smile.

Eventually, we left the restaurant and started walking around town, through a small park, down some streets and then up a few. We just walked and talked—well, he was the one who talked for the most part, but I enjoyed listening.

He knew a lot about the stars, about the constellations and positions. He knew a lot about a lot of things, and I found myself liking his easy and gentle way of telling me things without dumping it all on me because it was awkward, because it wasn't. It was just...easy.

I was glad when he said he could walk me home, instead of suggesting I'd go home with him. He was definitely an attractive man, but I wasn't there yet, and it was like he could sense it.

When we neared dad's house, he said, "I can tell your heart's been broken before. I don't want to break it again," as he carefully took my hand and slowed our speed. "I've really enjoyed spending time with you, Isabelle. A lot, actually. You're really kind, and, god, you're beautiful.."

I smiled at him, holding onto his hand, because I liked the secure feeling of it. "I've enjoyed myself too, and, well, you're very handsome, William."

He stopped in front of the graveled path up to the front door of the blue house, turning me around to face him. His free hand found my cheek, and he smiled, before he leaned in and placed his lips gently on mine in a careful kiss. When I opened my mouth to meet it, it became more certain, like he was waiting for my approval before going in for real.

His thumb stroke my cheek, and the motion made my mind wander to another man. William's kiss was slow and gentle and delicious, but it was nothing like the desperate need in Damian's actions when he kissed me. William liked me, but Damian needed me. That was at least what the different kisses made me feel.

A slowly rising lump in my stomach made me step back, and I smiled up at him. "Thank you for dinner, and a lovely evening."

He smiled back, and placed another short, but sweet, kiss on my lips. "Thank you," he said, stepping back. "I'd love to do it again sometime."

It was probably the shortest sentence he'd said all night, and it made me let out a small laugh, before I nodded and said, "I'd like that."

He kissed me again, a little more need laced with it that time, but it wasn't in his kind nature to demand more, or push me against the faded wall and take it. It was sort of refreshing, but it didn't quite smell like the flowery fresh air I hoped it would be. Instead, it was something different, and I was a little curious to see where it could go if my heart would open up to him.