50. A Meeting With The In-laws

Start from the beginning

The trees began to spread out further on the side of the road and as we turned, I spotted smoke disappearing into the sky and heard males yelling. It sounded like they were preparing for our arrival. In the distance their camp became visible and that's when I noticed a new tent that wasn't there before.

It was massive and made of red fabric with my father's symbol seamed into it from black material. The thing with tents was the inside always seemed bigger than the outside so if the outside looked like this, how many people would be able to fit inside? This tent was solely for the purpose of the meeting and Torben grinned at it.

"They think we're worth this much trouble? How adorable." Torben whispered into my ear that made me shiver.

"It is an important meeting taking place today. At least their efforts mean they understand that importance." I said back to him, taking the tent as a good sign.

"I agree," Torben whispered back to me. "

I looked back out the window. There were fires everywhere to chase away the cold weather and everyone was dressed in fur and insulated boots. Some sat around the fires roasting meet and handing plates and cutlery around. Others trained, roaring and yelling at each other to hype up the gathering crowds. Many were on watch and when they spotted our approach and saw the hundreds of wolves coming their way, they formed a line between the camp and us.

Everyone stopped what they were doing to witness our arrival. The unexpected arrival from this part of the camp startled and frightened them all. They weren't prepared us to bring so many with us and they assumed they'd have the upper hand in surrounding us.

Torben had played this move well.

Rylan stepped out from between them, his green eyes scanning the wolves and then coach as it came to a rocky stop.

Someone came around and opened our doors and Felice and Aicha stepped out first. Aicha watched Rylan carefully, but she still had that excited spark in her eyes, and I think Rylan noticed because he gave her an easy smile. Felice came to Aicha's side, and he nodded at Rylan. "Good to see you again, general." Felice's face said otherwise but it was good he was being polite

Rylan studied him. He knew Felice was just being polite, but he smiled at him anyway. "Likewise, general. And who is this lovely lady at your side?"

Aicha's eyes brightened and she allowed Felice to speak for her. "This is my mate, Aicha." Torben was helping me out of the coach and from behind Felice added, "Aicha, this is Rylan. One of king Adrenous' generals."

Aicha's eyes widened like a child.

Rylan indulged Aicha with another smile and then said, "I hadn't expected your arrival to be from this corner of the camp?" His eyes then scanned the distance from which we had come, wanting an explanation.

"We're full of surprised," Was all Felice allowed himself to say.

Rylan's frowned and then his eyes fell on me. He walked closer and bowed his head. "Asmara."

I noticed Rylan was dressed in his most formal clothes. A white, tight fitted shirt and a navy suite jacket with my father's symbol on his left breast pocket. His trousers were well fitted too and the boots on his feet were the finest I'd ever seen him wear.

"I've never seen you dressed so formal. Is this laurey's doing?" I teased.

He brushed his jacket down as if realising how differently he was dressed today. He laughed softly, "Yes. She insisted she help me prepare."

"I like it." I complimented and watched him stand a little straighter with pride.

I felt someone approach my back, looking over my shoulder. Rylan looked up and this was the first time he noticed Torben. The air became thick and before my very eyes, Rylan's features shifted completely. He knew he'd have to meet Torben today, but it brought up feelings that couldn't be hidden behind a façade.