50. A Meeting With The In-laws

Začít od začátku

With Torben and his two generals leaving for the day, Desmond remained to take a hold of the pack and maintain important protocols while we were gone.

Reagan's plan to attend went out the window, too. He was to stay and speak to his mate. To see what was to become of them.

I looked to the sky again, knowing the moon was still up there, though invisible. She would still be listening, and I prayed to her that Reagan and Josephine would find happiness and comfort with one another. They deserved it.

When my gaze landed back on the carriage it was a lot closer, many of the wolves were around us and I smiled down at Ezlyn when she took a seat beside me. Up close the carriage was extraordinary with beautiful carvings. The carriage stopped just in front of me and when the door opened, Torben was there, holding out his hand to me with a comforting smile that told me he definitely wasn't frightened.

Stray strands of Torben's short, dark hair fell over his forehead, slightly moving with the wind whilst the rest was styled back with perfection. His black leather tunic was tight fitting and finely made, cut close enough to his body that you could see the strong muscle and pure alpha strength beneath.

I looked at his hand and then met his gaze. The interior of the carriage looked even more expensive than the outside with leather coated cushions and red embroidered pillows.

"You really want to make a scene, don't you?"

Mischief danced in those dark eyes. "Is that so wrong?"

"No, but it's certainly going to piss off my parents." Not that I cared too much what they'd think of us turning up like this.

"Will you stop talking and get in here." He chuckled.

Ezlyn shoved me with her head as if to say the same thing.

I shot her a playful glare, to which she nudged me again. I finally took his hand and stepped inside the carriage and then I was pulled into his lap. "This carriage may piss off your parents and I won't lie and say I won't enjoy it." I turned and gave him a scolding look. "But" He laughed, "I also want you to travel in luxury fitting of a queen."

My eyes brightened at that. "Well, I suppose I can't fault you for the carriage then and I suppose my parents will just have to deal with it."

"I'm pleased we're on the same page."

I was smiling and laughing when Aicha and Felice climbed in to take their seats opposite us. Felice took one look at me on Torben's lap and grimaced. "Don't tell me you two are going to be snuggled up the entire trip?"

Aicha laughed. "Aw, I think it's cute."

Felice gave her a look that said are you crazy?

I slid of Torben's lap and stuck my tongue out at him.

Torben leaned back, laughing. "I suggest you relax, Felice because it's going to be a long journey."

Indeed, it was a long journey.

The roads were rocky, and my body kept jerking every time the carriage dipped. The cushions helped but it was still an uncomfortable journey. Along the way, I mind-linked Torben to ask if him what other surprises he had planned for tonight. He had only placed a finger on his lips and caressed my mind with his.

That's for your father to find out first.

I wasn't a fan of the suspense, but it definitely intrigued me, and I couldn't wait for the reveal.