Does it require my attention right away? I was enjoying said 'mating.'

It certainly can't wait. We have a few of Adrenous' kind in the cells.

I almost jumped out of the bed if it weren't for Asmara still sleeping on me. I'll be ten minutes.

Oh, and Torben.

Yes?

We've met one of the males before. The male Asmara protected before you took her.

I growled involuntarily and that seemed to wake Asmara up.

✨🌗✨

- Asmara

    I came alive from a peaceful slumber when I heard a furious growl tear through Torben's body. His body vibrated the angry sound through me and I snapped up to look at him. His eyes met mine, dark, a possessive beast struggling to stay level.

"What's wrong?" I dare asked. I hadn't seen him this angry since the first day I met him. When we hated each other. Just a glance told me it wasn't me he was angry with. There was a speck of softness reserved for me only.

He shook his head and gently untangled himself from me so he could stand. I was scared by the way he was acting. One moment, we're lost in the other and the way he praised my body in the early hours of the night was from a male who was content and in love. The next moment, he's a beast, intent on ripping out someone's throat.

Was he angry because I didn't say I loved him back?

I stood up, wrapping the blanket around me, suddenly feeling vulnerable being naked. Torben saw the fear in my eyes, the way I clutched the sheets to my chest. "Don't do that." He spoke softly, even though the anger didn't leave his eyes. He pulled the sheets away and stared wantingly at me. Grabbing my trembling hand and bringing my knuckles to his lips. "I don't want you to feel vulnerable or afraid around me. Fuck, I don't want you to be afraid of me." He sighed and closed his eyes, keeping his lips pressed firmly against my knuckles.

I frowned and let my vulnerability fall away with the help of my wolf, washing me in her courage and instinctual concern for him. "What's wrong, Torben?" My words were soft but far from weak.

"We've captured a small group of your father's wolvens, including the male I first found you with."

My brows drew together, my heart skipping a beat in surprise and Torben heard it.

Shit! Reagan was here.

Who else was with him?

Had he been looking for me this whole time?

The possessive anger in his eyes made sense now. He looked at me and I said, "It's not like that with Reagan. Not anymore."

He nodded and continued to dress. "I have to go but—."

I interrupted him. "I'm coming with you."

"I don't think that's a good idea right now." He was fully dressed and serious about leaving me here in the cabin while he left to see his new prisoners.