35. A Bond To Remember

Start from the beginning

I could handle Rita on my own.

Rita might be filled with hate for me and my family, but she would be stupid to try and hurt me. Torben would have her cut down without a second thought and to be honest, I'd probably beat him to it. In all honesty, I have to give credit to my wolf and the powers gifted to me by Raven. They both gave me more strength and confidence than what I've been used to.

Even if I didn't get through to her today there was one thing I wanted to make clear to her. I didn't care about having her respect because I didn't need it, but I'd make sure she knew that I would follow through on my word.

Her face is reserved. Cold, brown eyes looking me up and down like I'm nothing more than a nuisance. "I have to say," She said flatly, walking around me to assess my right side, "It was bold of you to order me to help you so you could get me alone." Her eyes lifted to mine and I stared right back at her with that same level of coldness. "Why?"

I kept my eyes on her. "I know your planning on leaving Torben's pack."

If what I knew surprised her, she didn't show it. She smirked, walking over to my dress and pulling it from the dummy flawlessly. "Are you planning on changing my mind?"

As she worked to get me ready, I told her the honest truth. "If it was just you, I wouldn't bother. It would be your decision and I would be able to live with that. What I don't like the idea of, is you forcing Josephine, and even James to follow you." I didn't know why I chose to stick up for James. He was as hateful as his mother. But I knew that it was because of the way he was raised and he was still too young. He had time to learn a different mindset. To have a new outlook on the world.

Rita was helping me step into the dress when she let out a cruel laugh. "My children are none of your concern. They will follow me wherever I go because they are my blood and they owe me their lives."

My wolf pushed me to strangle her for having that kind of attitude towards her children. "I am urging you to think before you decide to leave. The dangers you'll face from other packs when they find out what kind of mark you bear. You'll get yourself and your children killed if you leave."

I was in the dress. Rita worked to get it to fit nicely around my form, her fingers around the zipper, pulling it up slowly. "Death is better than serving Adrenous' daughter. You and you're father will destroy this pack and all it stands for."

"We will make this pack stronger. A war is coming—"

"More reason for us to leave. I won't be caught up in someone else's war again. My twins lost their father the day Adrenous fought Coen. Julien was killed by Arif and I was on the sidelines watching his throat be ripped open. I didn't even know I was pregnant at the time." She doesn't look at me as she says this. She doesn't even sound sad. It's like she's detached herself from the memory. "I won't be a part of another wolven's war and neither will my children."

My dress all zipped up, I silently watch her move around me to fluff up the dress.

Her reasons may be valid but the dangers out there are far worst than the dangers here. I won't allow Josephine to be forced into a life I know she doesn't want.

I turn, Rita, stepping away, her face stone.

"If Josephine and James choose to go, I'll accept their wishes." Her eyes narrow slightly at the words, sensing the but in my tone. "But, if I get just an inkling that they're being forced or manipulated into leaving, I will defend their right to stay and you will leave on your own."