34. I Won't Let You Leave My Side

Start from the beginning

    Asmara's powers were still a secret and for good reason. I and Asmara were the only one's in this room that knew about them. We couldn't risk speaking too much about them just in case. Call it paranoia but we had a right to be paranoid.

    I squeezed Asmara's knee. "No"

    If my pack knew I was going to war over my mate, it could cause them to reject the idea of us finally mating and completing the bond. I needed them to be for the bond between us, to be for the alliance between me and Adrenous if it means more protection for them.

    "We tell them we're going to war to protect our lands. I and Asmara will complete the mate bond and reach out for the alliance with her father. The pack will be for it if it means more protection, land and freedom to roam without the fear of being killed by Adrenous' wolvens." Asmara's hand landed on mine and she looked at me with approval.

    In the near future, she would be reunited with her family. I know she missed them. I could see it in her eyes whenever I mentioned her father's name.

"Draven doesn't know Asmara's your mate, what if he hears word about this ceremony?" Felice voices his concerns.

Ezlyn stopped playing with her hair and placed both hands on the sofa beside her. She suggested, "If we have the actual ceremony in the middle of the pack and line the perimeter with male and female warriors, the news won't get out. No one will ask questions because they'll know we're in the midst of war."

"I agree," Asmara said to Ezlyn, her hand tightening around mine. She turned to look at me. "What do you think?"

    "If it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me."

    Her eyes lit up at that and I found it difficult to look away, back towards Felice. "Get your men ready, as soon as the announcement to the pack is made, set them in motion. I want them prepared for war. We know half of Draven's army are vampires so daytime could possibly be our friend. His decision to attack will preferably be through the night. Make sure they understand that."

    "I'll have them ready, don't worry."

    I turned to Ezlyn and she perked up. "The female warriors will be on watch night and day, switching posts on six-hour rotations. When they're not sleeping or on watch I want them training with Felice's men. Felice's men will be on the watch too but there's will be a twelve-hour rotation. Make sure none of your females are currently in heat or pregnant, if they are send them home and their mate will be allowed temporary leave as well unless their presence is needed desperately."

    "Of course, I'll get to it as soon as you give the word."

    I squeezed Asmara's knee again and stood to my feet. I gave her my hand and helped her to her feet. "Let's go announce this to the pack."

    "And what if they object?" Felice asked with a dark smirk. Already knowing my answer.

    "Anyone who has an issue with my authority will have me to answer to."

    Asmara looked like she wanted to smile but held herself back.

    Ezlyn didn't bother to hide her smile.

    We left my office and exited my home. Outside the pack was silent but waiting. My men formed a small barrier between us just in case the pack got aggressive. The first rogue to show me their objections in an aggressive manner would be made an example out of.