30. Too Much Wine... Again

Start from the beginning

I gasped at the scattered stars across the clear sky. The light of the moon and stars shimmered of the river that ran across the land. But that wasn't what had me gasping.

A Gazebo, so gigantic and gorgeous, was set up at the heart of the grassland. a firepit sat in its centre and the lights danced along the walls of the gazebo, casting shadows and moving in time with the music. Music so serene and graceful, it lifted me up and forced me wide awake. It was a second later that I saw its source. A man played the violin, another with a harp and a third chimed a bell.

Torben stopped outside the gazebo. I climbed from his back, still enthralled by the music. Beneath the gazebo, velvety cushioned seats were everywhere and so was a table filled with a selection of food and a lot of wine. Torben shifted and I didn't fail to notice him standing beside me naked. I kept my gaze off him and a servant with a fresh tunic and trousers passed them over to him. He shuffled and changed next to me without shame.

The only thing keeping me from embarrassment was the music still playing. I had never heard anything more beautiful. Where had Torben found these talented rogues?

Around us rogues shifted and cheered, unaffected by the miles of running it took to get here. Men and women changed with the help of servants and then ran straight into the gazebo, taking seats on every available cushion. It was so packed already, it made me frown.

I gave Torben a sideways look, "Where are we supposed to sit?"

"What do you mean? We have the best seat of all."

We did?

Torben smirked and took my hand without my permission. Sparks ran through us as he pulled me into the gazebo and towards a table at the far back. Because of the odd angle, I hadn't noticed it. I grinned when I realised we'd be sitting right next to the men playing music. So close I'd be able to feel the rhythm vibrate through my body.

I couldn't help but smile. Torben pulled out a chair for me and I gratefully took a seat, shuffling it forward. I shuffled out of my cloak now that the fire exuded plenty of warmth. Looking around at the beautiful scenery around me, I asked, "Is this how rogues celebrate after a long run?"

"Rogues celebrate at any chance given." He grins and waves over a servant. The young female bows when she approaches, a bottle of expensive wine in her hands.

"Care for a drink, alpha Torben and luna Asmara?"

I tense at the title. Torben doesn't seem to notice as he smiles at the young female and nods, "Yes, please."

She fills the glasses in front of us and then pulls back. "Anything else?"

"That will be all for now."

The woman bows again and walks away.

Torben lifts his glass and gestures for me to do the same. "To us." He clinks his glass with mine and we both take a sip. The wine is exquisite as it burns its way down my throat. I finished my glass in minutes and Torben chuckled. "Take your time, you have plenty of time to enjoy the night."

I wipe my mouth with the back of my hand. "Sorry, it just tastes so good."

"Remember what happened the last time you drank too much," He warns me playfully. I tease him back with a glare and then focus back on the music.