CHAPTER 27: Asking Another Favor [✔]

Start from the beginning

“But maybe she’s busy...” I defended Becca, hoping for the impossible thing to happen.

          Becca just shrugged her shoulders after seeing us, like we are just an empty air in that space. I felt guilty, realizing how much we’d hurt her.

“I told you so,” Nathan stated.

          After practice, I saw Becca packing her stuffs up so I decided to call her out and talk to her about everything. Nathan doesn’t want that idea for he wanted Becca to talk to us first and he said that we should give her some more space right now. But I wouldn’t do as he say. I badly wanted to talk to Becca right now.

“Then fine, I’ll go alone, Nathan. Stay here.”

       He shook his head, before shrugging his shoulder. I looked away, before I started walking towards the exit of the theatre room to follow Becca. When we reached outside, it was the same exact time that our school bell rings, indicating that classes were over.

        Students started to get inside of my room, only making it harder for me to caught up Becca and to call her name. I don’t want to make another scene in here.

          I ran, bumping onto one person to another. When I almost reached Becca’s bag, someone suddenly grabbed me in my waist, before pulling me out of the crowd. I couldn’t scream out of shock for one main reason... The hands of whoever this guy is was already covering my mouth before I could say anything.

          He dragged me towards at the back of the stairs, hiding me in the crowd as I felt his breath on my ears. He pinned me on the wall, before looking at me straight and dead in the eyes. It was as if he was a predator, and I am his prey.

“T-Tyler...”

          My voice trembled, unable to say another word except of his name. He’s glaring intensely at me, before he punched the right side of the wall behind me. I gasped in shock, before my knees shook in panic and fear. I slowly sat down, sobbing out of fear. I hugged my knees tightly as I almost beg towards him.

“Please don’t hurt me...” I pleaded.

          He didn’t say anything. He took his phone out instead before capturing a photo of me... The scared me. He then chuckled, before showing me my own picture.

“Now we are even,” he whispered closely into my ears before he started to walk away, leaving me in there all alone.

              I pull myself together, being traumatized by Tyler’s action. If only I knew that he’s not going to hurt me and just scared me like that, then I should’ve just laugh at his actions earlier. But I couldn’t do anything else now that it already happened. I just sighed, wiping my tears away before standing up.

         I still need to talk to Becca. I ran, unsure of where to go so I decided to just trust my instinct instead. My feet brought me to the rooftop of this building, and for the very first time, I felt very thankful that I trusted myself. Because there, I saw Becca looking down the streets... Crying.

“B-Becca?” I asked.

          Her eyes widen as soon as she realized that it was me. She secretly wiped her tears away before avoiding my gaze.

“What are you doing here, Natalia?” she asked.

“Becca... I just wanted to talk to you.”

“Go away. I don’t need you anymore...”

          I walked towards her direction, ignoring her almost pleading voice. I tap her shoulders, trying to make her look at me.

“But, Becca... I just wanted to–”

“I said go away!” she burst out, pushing me away from her.

           I fell down on the ground, looking at her with my almost crying eyes. It’s been to much for me today. Tyler and Becca made me cry... And I don’t know why I still feel bad about those things that I’ve done to them even though we are probably even right now.

           I looked up to Becca, only seeing the guilt in her eyes. She then sat right in front of me, before saying anything.

“I-I’m sorry, okay? I didn’t mean to hurt you, Natalia... It’s just that... I envy you that much to the point that I just chose to leave our squad rather than stay with you guys... Because I can’t watch the way Nathan is looking at you... I mean, you probably don’t know about this but Nathan likes you...”

          I blinked several times, trying to process what she’d just said.

“What? That’s not true,” I refused to accept her words.

“It is! And you don’t know about that because all you ever think about is your friendship... Our friendship... You’re so numb, Natalia Carter.”

          I shook my head, tears started to stream down on my cheeks. Is that true? Does Nathan likes me? But he’s my bestfriend... And he also told me that he already likes someone else, which means it’s not me. I don’t know what to believe anymore.

“Becca... N-no. I mean, Nathan doesn’t like me. And you’re right. All I ever care about is our friendship, so please, come back to the squad...” I almost pleaded.

“Is our friendship all that matters to you then?” she asked, as if challenging me.

“Yes,” I strongly answered even though I’m still unsure.

“Then help me, Natalia. Stay away from Nathan and help me get close to him once and for all... I’m only asking you one favor... A favor that could bring our squad’s friendship back.”

“I’ll help you!” I stated, too eager to rebuild the squad that I ruined myself.

“Okay...” She nodded several times as if she was thinking something. “Prove it to me then...”

“How?” I asked curiously.

“Give me your role in the play. It was just a small favor to ask, Natalia. Right after that, I promise that our squad will be whole again. Deal?”

             She offered her hands for a shake. I look at it, still unsure if I should seal this deal with her. But if it was for our friendship, I think it was all worth sacrificing for. Joining the drama club already taught me so many lessons and I could proudly say that I learned a lot from the members and from our adviser as well. But I think I need to quit right now. For our squad. For Becca.

           And so, I chose to sacrifice myself again, just to make everyone happy and satisfied. Maybe this time I wouldn’t regret this decision. Maybe, just maybe. So I guess I have to accept this offer of her. I grabbed her hands, then I finally shook it.

“Deal.”