Amy - chapter 5

I heard a yell from the ice and ran over to the barrier. I was just in time to see Matt hit the puck right at Josh, and watch as Josh falls with a sinister thud to the ice.

Matt yelped and skated over to where Josh was lying, unconscious.

"I..I..I didn't do anything!" He falters. "Is Josh going to be all right?"

Coach turns to see what all the commotion was about, and sees that his son is unconscious on the ice.

"SOMEONE CALL 999!" He yells.

"I'm on it!" I shout.

I dial 999 and ask for an ambulance, sharpish. The operator said it would be there in less than 5 minutes, so not to panic.

I think everyone was panicking at that point...

Coach is sitting on the ice next to Josh and putting him in the recovery position, while Matt makes sure his airways aren't blocked.

All of my friends are whispering with each other, probably something about whether the scar on his head will make Josh less attractive.

Elle pads over to me. She's taken off her skates and is walking around in her fluffy socks. Her skates are dangling upside down from her hand; the squishy tiger blade guards bobbing their heads as she walks.

"Those girls are so obnoxious!" She says.

"It's like their heads are full of air!" I agree.

"It seems like they are too stupid to worry about how Josh is hurt, UNCONSCIOUS on the ice and all they can worry about are his looks, not whether he's alright or not!" She exclaims, just loud enough for the girls to hear.

One of them, called Olivia, looks over and smirks. "I guess that Matt guy was right, you are a little twirly girl, emphasis on the LITTLE, and you do need mummy wummy to hold your hand!"

"Oh how original," Elle retorts.

Elle and Olivia make to slap each other but I pull Elle away.

"Don't sink to their level," I calmly inform her. "It will only make things worse."

She snorts in frustration and stomps off. I follow.

This is normal Elle-and-the-mean-girls-drama and I'm usually the one to break things up when the conversation gets heated.

Olivia just can't get over that Elle is smaller than average, and won't stop teasing.

The truth is that Olivia is too tall and gangly, she's only a figure skater because her daddy is rich and has paid for her to get this far.

Olivia is jealous of Elle, my little pocket rocket!