Chapter 13- Promises are Meant to be Kept

"Stay still," Jungkook breathed out. "You might hurt yourself."

I looked down, just to realize that our shoes were surrounded by the shattered pieces of the Chinese vase. He released me slowly and gazed down at me with a grave tone. " But then, do you really mean what you just said?"

"Of course!" I returned his gaze as we stood close to each other. "Y-yeah! You're more important to me than anything." I nodded repeatedly as I spoke. "You're precious to me ever since we were kids, and that didn't change until now."

Trying to hide his smile, he turned around and pretended to approach the sofa with a frown while laying the plastic bag of food I just noticed he had been carrying. "If I am more important than anything, then you should have kept your promise. You said you would come quickly after you're done with your business, but you never showed up."

"Tss, how can you still be sulking about that?" I exclaimed while following him to the mattress, making sure to not step over the shattered fragments on the floor.

"Ehh, a promise is a promise. You should have told me earlier that you would be busy for three weeks straight!" my best friend snorted while unpacking the take out food from the bag. Across the coffee table, he reached out his hand with a spoon and motioned me to eat.

Gulping at the sight of jajangmyeon prepared in front of me and suddenly feeling all the hunger inside after seeing the food on the table-

"But then..." he pulled away. "You should learn how to keep your promise next time."

I nodded quickly, immediately agreeing so that I could stuff my watering mouth with food. "I promise I won't do it again."

He displayed a dominant smile before giving me the spoon. "I don't like people who don't know how to keep their promise. I mean, why make a promise if they can't fulfill it?"

I stopped chewing my food as I was reminded of my broken promise ten years ago. He has a trauma on promises and has trust issues. Was it because of me? Once again, guilt took over me, but I tried to brush it off my mind and continued to focus on the food.

I gobbled the spicy noodles, not minding to check at him as the taste of the warm food filled my belly. I was so hungry that I almost forgot my best friend was there. The atmosphere was silent the whole time. When all the food was gone, I searched the plastic bag for more, gaining me an exasperated sigh. That was when my focus shifted to Jungkook, only to catch him sitting over his folded leg and crossing his hands.

"What is he thinking?"

"Jungkook-shi?" I asked, waving my hand and moving my body from side to side to catch his attention.

He blinked and shook his head, as if breaking away from his a weird thought. "Uh... you done?"

"Yes. Thanks for buying me a meal," I answered while wiping my mouth with a tissue and dumping it on the dirty plate. "What were you thinking?"

He shook his head with a smile and shifted himself into another comfortable position. "Nothing... you just remind me of someone who eats like a piggy."

"Ah... your ex-best friend," I casually guessed and nodded, my eyes eventually growing wide after realizing something. "WHAT?! Did you just call her a piggy?!" I stood up straight and pointed at him angrily. "He thinks I was a pig?!"

"Wow what's wrong with you?" He stood up too and made a confused look, his eyebrows arching in question.

"You just called 'her' a piggy." I frowned at him.

His eyebrows furrowed even more and peered at me in confusion. "I called her a 'piggy' because she eats everything on her plate when she's hungry and I think it was cute, not because she's fat or something."