"You can stop pretending to be asleep," Percy finally said when no one else was around.

The princess lazily opened her grey eyes. "When did you realize that I woke up?"

"Oh, you were actually asleep?"

The princess dared to pinch his arm, though it didn't hurt him. Thankfully, he was merciful.

"When one of the knights yelled rather loudly, your eyes flickered underneath your eyelids in annoyance."

"You didn't need to pick me up then," she said accusingly.

"I see. So should I drop you right here?" He questioned, an eyebrow lifted.

Her arms hurriedly encircled his neck and shoulders in case he promised on his childish threat. Percy bit back a smile.

"I'm not weak, but since you disturbed me from my nap, I'm going to punish you by having you carry me the rest of the way upstairs." The princess sniffed.

This time Percy let out a smile for real. She was like a kitten with fangs and itty bitty claws, fearlessly thinking she could dole punishment out on him.

"Sir Rachel doesn't seem pleased that you picked me up like this." The princess said a moment later as he carried her up the stairs. "I'm assuming that she was one of the female candidates for Queen?"

"She would have been among the best candidates from the Eldoris nobles for Queen." Percy answered. "A good upbringing, talented in swordsmanship, and able to navigate through social circles."

"Then why ask for a Kiran bride if she's so suitable?"

"I didn't ask for a bride, and Rachel isn't so suitable. Your family cut off trading with my country. And when I asked why, they pretended to apologize and send you off as a bride for compensation. I was going to refuse when I foolishly thought that a foreign princess as the queen could cement support for my hold on the throne with an alliance and cut off the dowager queen's influence on who would share the crown with me."

"They're not my family," the princess muttered under her breath. "What a shame. Sir Rachel quite likes you. I suppose if her father wasn't so involved, you would have made her queen."

Percy eyed the princess, whose tone was actually quite sincere in trying to couple him and Rachel together.

"I guess you've been studying the information on the Eldoris nobles. Even you can tell that Rachel has feelings for me."

The princess shrugged. "I took a peek over your shoulder and just happened to see her expression. While everyone else was shocked when you picked me up, she had an expression of hurt on her face. She also hinted that she could call Your Majesty by your childhood nickname. Next time if you ever reject her, could you please not involve me in it? I don't want to face the anger of someone highly skilled in swordsmanship, at least not in this state."

"Unfortunately, I believe you signed a contract yesterday that stated you would help in blocking out any female trying to get close to me. This," he gestured to his carrying her, "is therefore included in the contract."

The princess frowned, her grey eyes stormy. "I don't like it. Pitting females against females all over for a man." She muttered something under her breath that sounded like 'typical historical bullshit' and 'damn you, Clarisse.'

"That man you speak of, unfortunately is the king of a vast nation with power and wealth. Regardless of gender, people will go crazy in their greed for power or wealth. Those people end up using even family in their schemes and hurting them."

"Well, those last two statements I can agree with." The princess said, quietly.

So that meant she still didn't see him as having worth despite being a king? Percy contemplated dropping her as a joke, but they were on the stairs and she was still a patient in recovery. He could get her back once she was healed and his queen. Besides, her words indicated how she felt about the Kirans.