Chapter 17: Thinking

*TIME SKIP* - A Few Weeks Later -

"Rikona, how are you?"

"...."

She stands in the library, the second level with a book in her hands. Rikona is greeted by a familiar person who shows her warmth and kindness.

"... I'm doing fine" She said and it was not a lie. She no longer had dark circles around her eyes and improved her sleep schedule. Overall, Rikona recovered fast but how?

Inside the peaceful and quiet library, they were just standing by the shelves and talking. Rikona wonders what the young professor's preference for books was. She guessed music however he grabbed another subject instead.

"You liked English?"

"It's my favorite subject other than music" He grins brightly and chuckles.

She only nods her head slowly and stares at the shelf blankly. Drifting off to the clouds and thoughts fill her mind. Rikona sighs and her heart tightens, breaks, and sinks. It's only been a few weeks since that incident and she can't get rid of it. She's confident that he's in the same position and feels uncomfortable. She doesn't blame him and blames herself for making such decisions.

"... Women can be a choice" Rikona mumbles to herself and the man next to her is baffled by her astonishing statement.

"What?"

"Oh, I mean..." Rikona turned her neck to him awkwardly and gawked- at a loss of words. Not knowing what to say nor how to excuse her embarrassing statement. "... Love is stupid"

"It's a gift" He replies and rubs his chin. "... You're still young and it's full of mysteries so-"

"I told him"

"What?"

"... I said" Rikona bluntly exclaims and pauses. "... I confessed"

He widens his eyes in surprise and she keeps silent.

*Before*

"You've been avoiding me on purpose too long. How come?"

"... Because I can't see you"

"I'm not dumb and you're not blind"

She was anxious and looked away to avoid making eye contact. She can sense his glare and he's frustrated with this act. He displayed his emotion through his tone and she can tell. He's also upset.

Is this really who they are?

"Let me go"

"Rikona, we've been friends since high school, and as far as I know. Nobody knows you as much as I do include you."

'You don't understand' Rikona froze from his statement and he grabbed her wrist. He forces her to face him and she is astounded but also afraid. She grits her teeth and wrinkles her eyes, shaking and breathing heavily.

Why must he tell her those caring words that will add more pain to her heart? Making the feeling more forbidden and difficult to move on from.
"... I..." She murmured and he narrowed his eyes, staring deep into her eyes and she gaped. She can't move and is enchanted by those warm eyes that once healed her from the past pain.

"Why is it.... That you suddenly want to break our friendship?"

"I don't.." She answered and gripped onto his collar. "Please believe me, I don't!"

"Then how come you stopped talking to me? You refused to meet and couldn't look me in the eyes before?" He was trembling and she staggered in bewilderment. Seeing him shake in agony and fury over this. She discovered their friendship is more precious to him than she thought. Or possibly... her?