Chapter 16: Sorrow

~ Rikona's POV ~

Avoidance is the answer to contain my feelings and eventually move on. However, it's not as easy as most people will think. Doing it alone would've been fine but I'm actually grateful for my friends giving me their support. They were always suspicious about how I feel about him and it seems like I'm the only one who was slow at spotting when I'm the person with the feelings. Overall, only they and one other person know about my secret.

"Don't worry, Rikona. I'll beat him up" The boys think of ways to murder Chuukichi.

I stared at them with tired eyes from staying up too late and sighed heavily. "It's not his fault. This is my problem only. He didn't do anything"

I frowned sadly as I let my head down in despair. I'm such a coward and an idiot at these kinds of things.

"So... what will you do for now?" one of the girls asked me.

What shall I do for now? With the forbidden feelings that stay in my heart only for it to grow over time? I don't have intentions of getting into a romantic relationship with Chuukichi even if I like him. I only wish for us to stay as friends because I'm sure he does too.

However, the more I stay by his side. The more I hurt myself and if I continue this any longer... Then someday I'll hurt him by accident... or worse. On purpose. Therefore, I only have one solution in mind to get over him as fast as possible and that is.

"Avoiding" I respond and they raise their eyebrows at me. "I'm going to avoid him as much as I can so my feelings for him will stop"

".. But Rikona"

"I thought about it a lot. It may not seem like the best solution but it's the only way for me not to hurt myself or him" I said as my heart throbs in pain.

"How long will you do it for?"

"... For as long as I can even if our friendship is at risk which it is right now" I clench my heart over my chest yet I cackle. "Please understand," I pleaded.

I want them to understand my choice and why I don't wish to tell him. We've been through so much together and I don't want any more drama in this life.

*TIME SKIP* - A Week Later - ~ 3rd POV ~

Chuukichi has been noticing her strange behavior as she constantly avoids him, left and right. Calling out to her and Rikona running to her friends or hiding. She tries many ways to make him stop running to her. However, in the end, he still approaches her.

No matter how many times she pushed him away and purposely ignored him. He still comes back to her, making it harder for her to move on.

Her heart aches every single time she's cold to him. She didn't want to hurt him or herself anymore.

"Rikona-"

"Betty! How are you?" She turns the other way and runs to her friend group. They huddled together, leaving behind the confused person that stared at them. The group gets gradually smaller and farther as he stands still in shock.

"Sheesh. Why do you talk to her?" A friend of his speaks out and Chuukichi shoots a glare at him, making him shudder from the frightful expression.

"She's my friend" He exclaims seriously and proceeds to go to class.

'What's going on with you?' He thought to himself and furrowed his eyebrows in bafflement.

Her complexity gets worse and hoods constantly over her head as she sleeps through every class. Only relying on her classmates' notes, she's certainly the crybaby for a stone-faced girl. Of course, he was worried and concerned for her. So much that it also hurts his heart when witnessing her going to despair.