"He's getting out in two weeks"

"What?" Dylan takes the words right out of my mouth in a breathless tone.

I just sit there and stare at my mother. I've been scared off those words for the past decade. I've prayed that this day would never come. I've had nightmares about the day he gets out of prison. Even after all that's good in my life, after everything that makes me so unbelievably happy. Him getting out of prison is my absolute worst fear and it has haunted me since the last day I saw him.

"How do you know?" I ask in a low voice.

She takes a deep breath and looks down to her lap. "I went to see him"

"You what!?" I yell in shock.

"Alex-"

"Why the fuck would you go see him!?"

"He called me one day saying he wants to apologize and that I have to come visit him at the correctional center."

"And you actually went there?" Dylan ask and sits a bit forward in his chair.

"Yes"

"Oh my gosh. I can't believe you did that" I laugh in utter disbelief and rest my head in my hands.

"Mom do you remember what he did to us? To you?"

I just shake my head trying to wake up from this nightmare as Dylan speaks. I can't believe this is actually happening. I can't believe she went to see him. After everything that happened, she went too see him.

"He has been working on himself for the last couple of years and he has really changed." she defends him with a confident smile.

"Oh bullshit!" I scoff in laughter. "I can't even deal with this right now." I sit back in my chair taking a few deep breaths.

"He apologized for everything Alex"

"Did he apologize for almost killing you with his bare hands?!" I raise my voice a little and she says nothing.

"How about the time he almost burned our house to the ground with your son still inside?"

"Alex he wasn't himself back then" she defends him again.

"No mom he wasn't but he chose to do drugs and drink himself to a pulp. He chose to get involved with some bad shit and gamble all our money away. He chose to beat you and use you whenever he felt like it. I know all of that mom, I was there."

I take a breath to calm myself down and look at Dylan. He is just looking down at the ground with nothing to say and I don't expect him to say anything.

"He wants to apologize for all of that Alex"

"Wait?" I frown. "Is that why you're here? Because he wants to see me?"

"Yes, both of-"

"That's not happening" I immediately cut her off. "There is no fucking way I will go see him and there is no fucking way that Dylan will go see him."

"He can make his own choices Alex. Let him speak for himself." she says and looks at him.

"I don't want to see him" he shakes his head and I give him a slight nod. "He is not my father and he will never be."

"He just wants a chance at forgiveness" my mom sighs.

"No fuck that mom!" I yell again. "I will never forgive him for what he did. I can't believe you forgave him for all the shit he put you through." I shake my head in disappointment.