Chapter 30

Maya's POV

"Babe?" I whisper.

"Yeah?" she whispers back.

"What do think?"

"$1000 on the mother" she whispers.

"What?" I gasp softly. "No it's definitely the older son."

"Why?" she asks.

"Because he doesn't seem to really fit in with the rest." I mumble and look at the ground.

"Hhmmm"

"Baby you're drowning the flowers" I slightly laugh and look down at the pool of water in front of us.

"Oh shit" she laughs.

"What the hell are you two doing?"

We both turn around with wide eyes and look at Alex standing at the front door with her handbag and a huge frown on her face.

"What do mean honey bear? We always water the garden on a Saturday morning." I say in very polite tone, trying too sound convincing.

Her confusion grows but I keep the innocent smile on my face. She definitely has reason to be confused because we never water the flowers. I didn't even know where we kept the fucking hose. Neither did Stephanie but we eventually found it.

"It's a beautiful summers day" Stephanie motions to the sky. "Our children are playing in the shade" she motions to Riley and Jonah on the grass.

Alex squints her eyes at us but we stand with confidence.

"You look absolutely stunning today." I comment on her outfit.

"Breathtaking" Stephanie seconds.

"Lovies?" she says in stern voice and crosses her arms. The compliments was our only shot to change the subject but that didn't work so yes, we are caught.

"Fine" I roll my eyes and laugh.

"We are playing potential serial killer with our new neighbors" Stephanie says with an excited smile and looks over the street where we have been watching a new family move into their new house.

"Are you serious?" Alex sighs and covers her eyes in shame. This why we had to lie. She gets embarrassed about my and Stephanie's little game.

"Yes, did you see them babe?" I whisper. "One of them could definitely be one."

"You say that all the time" she says in a low voice and looks over us to the people we are talking about.

"But today we could be right" Stephanie says in a hopeful tone.

She just laughs and shakes her head "I can't deal with you two. I am going to be late for my nails. Come give me kiss"

"No"

"Why?" she laughs in disbelief.

"Because you are ashamed of us" Stephanie scoffs.

"Do you realize what you are doing? This is stalking. This is illegal" she slightly laughs.

"No it's not." Stephanie rolls her eyes.

"We are watering the plants sweetheart. Nothing else." I say in innocent voice and Stephanie shows her the hose.

"I've known you for six years. I have never seen you water any plant." she laughs.

"How would you know? You're not always home. Ever since we got this house we've done this on a weekly basis"